Chapter 3

(Edited)

"And when I see you smile
My heart swells with mirth
For I am now a memory
Meant to be buried in the desert of the past..."

Her melodious voice rang in his ears like a harp playing softly from a distance. He could feel as if her voice had a ability to soothe the painful throb of his head and his heart as well.

"Ophelia..."

He called out to her, turning his head towards her to take a look of her angelic beauty. Her face was as radiant as ever.

"Ophelia, please do not abandon me again..." He whispered softly, earning a sad smile from his beloved wife as she shook her head in disdain.

"Alas! My dear, I will have to leave..." She replied with a sad tone lacing her voice.

Matthew opened his mouth to ask for a reason but was silenced when her soft lips touched his forehead. They lingered there for a moment before she began to fade away – slowly. Matthew tried grasping her hand in desperation but it was too late, she had already faded away with the mist that enfolded Matthew. Although, her voice resonated clearly in the void.

"I love you, Matthew......"

"Matthew... Matthew.... Matthew......"

And soon the tone of her voice soon turned deep and dominating with an obvious familiarity in it.

"Father.....?" He mumbled sleepily, struggling to open his eyes and face the real world.

"Good Heavens! Son were you drinking last night? I thought you were quite aware of your low tolerance towards alcohol-" He shook his head in disappointment and glanced at the bottles of wine lying across the floor.

"Seems like Dionysus was keeping you accompanied." He sighed and looked back at his son, helping him get to his feet and handed him the herbs and water that were kept neatly on the table. Matthew rubbed his eyes and yawned before taking the herbs and swallowing them in one gulp. He shuddered at the unpleasant flavour.

"Father, what brings you here early in the morning?"

"Ah! We are leaving for Cyrail today. The monthly conference of our allies is held there-"

Donovan decided not to bring up the part where he would (perhaps) meet his future wife. While on the other hand Matthew was fully aware that they were not going to Cyrail just for the conference. He didn't ponder much about it though, he was continuously being distracted by the strange dream he had.What did Ophelia try to say? To forget her? That was something close to impossible for him but then again, fate had other plans decreed.

"Alright, Matthew get ready, meet me on the dining table, we'll set off for Cyrail soon after breakfast-"

His myriad of thoughts dispersed in thin air when he heard his father's voice. He raised his head to meet two aqua coloured eyes, gazing at him with fatherly love and affection. Donovan patted his son's back before exiting the room.

Matthew sighed and looked outside the window in disdain. The throb of his head had now dulled but the twinge of heart returned. Seven years passed and he still couldn't forget Ophelia, how could his heart make space for someone else?

"Why must one fall in love again and again, when all it confers is dread and pain?" He whispered in a distant tone while staring at the Sun rising to its resplendent glory, lightening up his dull blue eyes in the same way as it lighted up the moon at night. He clenched his fists at his own thoughts before drawing the curtains and heading to the bathroom to take a bath and to calm his nerves.

xxxxx

Breakfast was silent as usual with only the clinking of forks and knives producing an irregular symphony in the great hall. Donovan struggled to spark a normal conversation with his son who just responded with short monosyllables. This continued for a while until a deep female voice cut through the palpable dullness that enfolded the people present there.

"Your carriage is ready to depart, sire," She reported in a thick Latin accent. "And your luggage will reach there before your arrival."

"Wonderful Maria!" The King praised the old maid who gave a small smile in response.

"Matthew are you ready?"

"I guess-" He replied monotonously before glancing up at Maria, the maid who was like a foster-mother to him. She gave him a smile full of hope. He smiled softly and nodded his head, as if he understood the underlying meaning behind her smile before heading towards the door, opened by the guards who bowed in respect to the two blue blooded men.

xxxx

Their journey stretched for more than five hours or so. It wasn't quite uncomfortable, but a serene silence surrounded the majestic carriage. The road to Cyrail was astounding. Every curve and bend had lush green vegetation, waterfalls, lakes and green valleys.

A territory of Mother Nature, undisturbed by human folly. The beauty of Nature accompanied them all the way, till they reached their destination.

'And from here, begins a new love story....'