Chapter 11 part ii

At night fall, they had already reached the castle of Jevanna. Jenavive was awake by then, staring at the dull stone castle with an emotion Matthew couldn't figure out.

"This castle needs serious changes-" Her words broke the silence between them as she stepped out of the carriage and walked into the castle, observing each nook and cranny attentively before entering the grand hall of the castle with Matthew following behind.

"I do not appreciate this gothic style-" She gestured the room. "Why does this place lack joy? Have you been neglecting your duties?" She asked rather bluntly which caused Matthew to look away in shame.

"A castle is a representation of the whole kingdom," She reminded. "There is no point of fortifying the castle if you cannot make it a place warm enough to welcome commoners and Royals equally." She scolded.

Right.

He was being scolded.

He was being scolded by a woman.

A woman who literally had the ability to rip off his throat.

He swallowed gently.

He loved his throat so much.

"Father didn't want changes." He mumbled.

"That's probably because you never asked." She crossed her arms.

Whoever said woman weren't smart needed a new frame of spectacles.

And a new piece of mind. Matthew thought.

He heard her sigh and perhaps a 'I miss home already.' too.

"Matthew, my darling~" A shrill voice reverberated in the hallway.

"Rosa?" Matthew jerked his head to the direction where the voice came from. A green-eyed woman descended down the stairs. She was a slim redhead but wasn't as tall as Jenavive.

She wore a long blue velvet gown with a dip in her neckline, exposing her cleavage clearly. The gown hugged her body that her curves were completely put on display.

The Princess rolled her eyes, she had a bad feeling about this woman.

"Oh, Matthew, I missed you so much!" She threw her arms around Matthew, completely ignoring Jenavive's presence. Even the prince didn't notice that fact, he was busy responding the hug.

"Oh Lord, Rosa! It's been such a long time since you last visited!"

Jenavive looked around as if she didn't care.

But she felt a warm uncomfortable feeling spread out in her chest.

Jealousy?

Why would she feel jealous over someone who married her for the sake of improving his empire and not for love?

But he was her husband.

"Who is she? Your personal maid? Matthew I thought you never liked keeping personal maids."

From the corner of her eye, Jenavive saw the woman pout while playing with one of the buttons on Matthew's shirt.

This woman was dancing in her last nerve.

Matthew suddenly felt a heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach, seeing his best friend after years, he had forgotten about Jenavive's presence.

He could see his conscience clap at him in mockery.

Matthew slowly distant himself away from the redhead and cleared his throat. "Rosalyn, this is my ...wife, Jenavive. Jenavive, this is my childhood best friend, Rosalyn."