Chapter 5 - PART II

"What the hell did I miss when I was getting the damn refills?" Nolan complained as he unlocked the door to Emily's beach house. 

We had gotten back from the party right after Emily had left us. Nolan suggested that it was for the best, leaving me feeling concerned about both Emily and Charlotte. 

"Charlotte's doctor said that he had gotten the results of some sort of blood test that was positive for drugs, so they pulled her off to go back to the rehabilitation centre," I explained, my heels in my hands and my hair now loose from the bun. 

"Just my luck that I had to miss it," Nolan growled as we both entered the house. Nolan spun around and closed the door, locking it. 

"How long do you think she will take?" We made our way to the kitchen. I put the heels down on the floor and my purse on the table. Nolan shrugged. 

"We don't even know where she went in the first place, I can't estimate, unfortunately," he replied. I groaned in frustration, hating the fact that we were helpless right now. Nolan poured himself a large glass of water as I glanced around the house, looking for something to do. Then my eyes stopped at the coffee table. There was an envelope there. 

"What?" the word came out in a small whisper, so soft that even Nolan didn't notice. I got up and walked to the living room area, sitting at the couch so Nolan wouldn't be suspicious of what I was doing. I picked up the envelope, it was facing downwards. With my heart racing, I turned it. I thought I was about to faint once I saw who it was addressed to. 

Natasha

Immediately my instincts made me look around to see if anyone was still around despite the fact that I knew they would have been long gone by now. 

My eyes returned back to the letter. I turned around to check Nolan but he was busy preparing dinner. 

My fingers fumbled slightly as I opened the envelope. I took out the letter and opened it to see a small paragraph written in Japanese.

Hazuki, it saddens me that you have left. If I had known that you felt that way the entire time, I would have let you explore the world a long time ago.

I sighed in relief. Thank goodness my dad at least understood that much. But the sigh of relief was gone once I continued reading. 

But I cannot let you interfere with other people's missions. Once you receive this letter, you are to come back to Japan at once and continue your training. 

I'm sorry

Otou-san 

I inhaled sharply as my stomach churned. So much for my father understanding. I wanted to crush the letter and burn it so that my father never knew that I got it but instead, I flipped it. 

There it was, a message written in blue pen in scrawny handwriting. 

Natasha, I know you don't want to go back to Takeda. Meet me at the west side of the beach at about nine-ish. Tell Emily that you are going to the Stowaway. 

Aiden 

My jaw dropped when I saw the message. What the hell? Aiden was here? I continued staring at the letters like a paralyzed lizard.

Then my brain decided to continue working again. Of course he was. Aiden must have been the one that dropped this letter off. As if father would come by himself to the Hamptons without a reason. 

Plus, Aiden would definitely figure out where Emily and I were in no time. He was just that good. 

I scrunched the letter into a small paper ball and stood up. 

"Hey, Nolan, I'm going to take a shower, okay?" I told him as I raced upstairs. Nolan just let out a grunt and continued making dinner. I got a box of matches from the storage room, put the paper in a bin and lit it, watching the small fire burn. I sighed in relief and glanced at the clock. It was about six o'clock. 

Time to go have a long shower. 

************************************************************************************************************

 I let my steps thud loudly down the stairs so Nolan would know I was coming down. He had my plate of food ready on the table and had a blender out.

"Well, you took a while," Nolan said with amusement as he took out a tub of vanilla ice cream and fruits. 

"I needed to relax. Thanks for making my dinner," I thanked him as I sat down on the chair and started to eat the pork chops that he made. 

"Fair enough," he shrugged. I gestured to the blender with my fork.

"What's with the blender?" 

"Just felt like something... refreshing. Want some?" he grinned. I nodded and grinned back at him. He was about to open the tub of ice cream when the sound of the door opening and loud foot steps on the floor made us look up. 

Emily had changed out of her dress before she headed off wherever she went. She was now wearing jeans with a jacket and shirt. Her hair was tied to the side and her make up was wiped off. I straightened in my seat, slightly shocked that she had appeared out of nowhere. 

"Hey, where were you?" Nolan asked in concern. Emily reached us and put her hands on the bench.

"Victoria's alive," 

Nolan's face dulled in shock. He stared at her, his hands dropping from the blender onto the bench. 

I then realized that my face mirrored his. 

The fact that Emily was willing to share the shocking information with me meant that she was just as stunned. 

"Come again?" Nolan's voice was quiet. 

"That was what Charlotte whispered into my ear on the boat before they dragged her off," the scene of Charlotte being pulled off the boat flashed in my head. 

"Holy moly," were the only words out of Nolan's mouth. I didn't say anything. 

"Apparently, the government is keeping Victoria hidden until they can build the case against Conrad. Or so she says," Emily explained. 

"You talked to her?" Nolan asked, his eyes wide. I looked back at Emily as they both stared at each other. She nodded. 

"Holy crap," I finally let out the words. Emily looked at me, like she just noticed I was there. 

"Then you know where she is?" Nolan demanded softly. 

"Yeah," The room's atmosphere went up a few notches in intenseness.

"What are you planning to do?" I asked reluctantly. Emily breathed heavily as she made up her mind. 

"Play a hunch. I need to get a camera in there," She yanked open her bag and took out a large decorative clam shell. 

"Actually Nolan, I was hoping you could use this," Nolan took it from her hand and examined it quickly. 

"Uuuh, yeah, clam cam, I like it," Nolan nodded, like as if in a rush. 

"One more thing, how fast can you run a deep background on Charlotte's doctor?" she asked. Nolan was about to say something but I cut in. 

"I'll do it," they both turned to me. I shrugged.

"I learnt about computers when I was in training with my father. Thought you might need the help," Emily simply waved a dismissive hand to me and nodded. 

"Yup, thanks Nat," she said as she sighed heavily once again. Nolan was about to say something until a knock on the door made us all look up.

"Uh, Jack's here," 

Jack Porter stood on the porch, his hands in his pocket, his face full of hope. 

"Go. Suddenly, we have work to do," Nolan gestured to me to go up the stairs. I didn't say a word and simply followed him, though all my nerves in my body were curious with what was going down between the two. But I decided I better keep to my own business. After all, in a couple of hours, I had some business to do of my own.