The Dancer Games: A Dance Moms & The Hunger Games FanFiction (Wattys 2013)

23rd September, 2283

Chloe Lukasiak looked out of her window onto the wasteland that was her back garden, and sighed. The world used to be so beautiful, or so the stories of the Millenium told. Her mother told her of her great-great-great grandma, also named Chloe, and she always said how Grandma Chloe used to dance. People still danced nowadays, but only the very very rich people. 

The USA was in crisis, Chloe knew that. The government had lost control many many years ago. Everybody got poor really quickly, and many companies went bankrupt, so everything got cheaper all of a sudden. When a new government came into force, the President, Erikk Brendon brought in a lot of new laws, and one was that the whole of the USA would be split into eight 'Districts', with Washington being the main city. The system worked well for ages, but then the eighth district tried to rebel against Washington, so he sent his 'Laborors' into the eighth district and destroyed everything. Those who escaped went undercover in other Districts, or were captured by the government and forced to work for them, so no more rebellions could happen.

A short time after the rebllion, Erikk died, and his son Rodher took over. Rodher had been brought up to hate the Districts, and so he created The Games. Two children between the ages of 9-18 would be chosen to go to Washington and compete in The Games, and the last one left alive would win. Simple.

Chloe was scared about The Games- the next day was the day of the reaping. She had almost been chosen once before, when she was nine, but her older cousin Georjee volunteered for her, and she was the last to die in the arena, in a brutal brawl with a girl named Peyton from District 3. Chloe was heartbroken when she saw her cousin die, as it should have been her, but her mother told her to stop the silly tears.

As it was the day before the reaping, Chloe had extra dance class- the students in the District Seven Dance Studios always did a show on reaping day, and Chloe was the main dancer. She pulled herself out of her daydream and away from her window and smiled.