Chapter 3

Chloe performed her dances perfectly, including the firebird leap she had been struggling with earlier in the day. She and the rest of the team ran into the District Hall to get dressed into their reaping clothes. Chloe pulled down her Aztec print dress as she slipped into her black shoes. As they headed towards the door back to the center, Chloe, Jaimy and Clara all huddled together.

"I love you!" Jaimy said, tears streaming down her face. Clara wiped Jaimy's cheeks.

"Guys, good luck," Chloe said, before pulling away and heading out of the door, Clara and Jaimy following, with the other four dancers on the team in tow. They went and stood in the square with the rest of the youths of District 7.

The 'Reaper', Charlsy Morris, dug her hand into the ball filled with all the girls and boys names from the District. As she did so, Chloe whispered to Kia, a girl she knew from school, "I bet it will be two girls this year." Kia looked at her and shook her head- she was in an accident at the age of two, and couldn't speak, but Chloe knew she meant she thought it would be a girl and a boy.

Charlsy grasped a name and pulled it out with force. She smiled, showing everyone her perfect white teeth. "The first person to be entering the Games this year is... Chloe Nguyen!" Chloe [Lukasiak] breathed a sigh of relief, but then stared in horror as a very young girl stepped onto the podium. She had olivey skin, hazel eyes, and jet black hair tied into a Dutch braid at the back of her head. Chloe suddenly recognized the little girl- she was the pharmacist's daughter, she was only nine years old. Chloe suddenly longed for someone, anyone to volunteer for young Chloe when volunteers were called, but the time was not yet right.

Chloe began to get nervous and pick her thumb nails. As one of the richest family's in town, Chloe Nguyen's name couldn't have been in the ball more than once- what's to say now that the odds were in Chloe's favour? There was no certainty she was safe, and the unpredictable had already happened once in her life and once that day.

"The second person entering the arena will be..." Charlsy paused before smiling her perfect smile again. "Miss Chloe Lukasiak"