Chapter 2

Chloe woke with a start. Her alarm was going off next to her, so she whacked it to turn it off. She jumped out of bed and got into the shower. All Chloe could think about was the reaping. It was in three hours, and she was dreading getting chosen, especially after what happened the last time.

She got out of the shower and threw on some shorts and a t-shirt and began stretching. She ran over her solo a few times, and was just practicing her switch firebird leap, one of the final moves, when her mom wandered in, dressed in her best black skirt and pale blue blouse- her usual outfit for reaping day.

"Morning, Chlo," she said gently, as she sat on a chair at the opposite end of the room to where Chloe was dancing.

"Morning mom," replied Chloe. She went back to her starting position and ran the dance again. She frowned- she had completely lost the ability to do a backwards walkover, a skill she had learned when she was still in elementary school. She threw herself onto the chair next to her mom and began to cry tears of sadness and fury, but above all, tears of fear.

Her dog, Santa Paws, came padding over to her. "Hey hey, lil baby," she said, patting his head. Santa Paws licked her hand in return. Chloe laughed, wiping away her tears with her clean hand.

"Breakfast, Chloe," said her mom. "Today's a big day, so you need your energy. You don't want to be fainting on stage!" Chloe went into the kitchen and poured herself a small bowl of cornflakes and a glass of orange juice. She finished them in five minutes flat and ran up the creaky stairs to go and get changed. She put on her solo costume- a red leotard with orange and yellow feathers, and a red and orange feathery headpiece, and attempted to put on her reaping dress over it, but after many a failed try, she resorted to wearing her black coat instead. She packed her drawstring bag with the dark grey, sparkly costume for the group number, along with her Aztec print bodycon dress and her black shoes. She looked around the room, knowing that this could be the last time she would ever see it. Although unlikely, it was still a horrifying probability- her name was in the reaping only three times, so among thousands, she should be okay, but last time her name was only entered once.

She went into the bathroom and brushed her teeth, and did her long blonde hair into a braid based bun. She added a large flower, but knowing she would have to take it out anyway when she reached the town square where the stage was, she left it on the side of the sink.

She left the room and went back down the stairs. "Mom, Im going to meet Jaimy!" she called.

"Okay, darling. I'll see you later! Good luck with your dances!" Her mom replied, and with that, Chloe left her home and headed down the driveway.