Chapter 10

There was a brief moment of panic before the lights turned on again. Corella's announcement had made everyone freaked. The teenagers stood in the room, and as the carriage came to an abrupt halt, they all jolted, some falling over. The doors slowly opened and the mentors were waiting for the tributes.

"Any last advice?" Chloe asked Cathy, feeling extremely frightened and nervous.

"Stay alive," Cathy said in response, before ushering Chloe to her podium.

A countdown for ten seconds began, and, when the timer began to buzz, Chloe was enclosed in a glass case. She banged on it, wanting to get Cathy's attention (as she had turned around to talk to a stranger in a silver suit), but the case was sealed.

Chloe was so engrossed in watching Cathy's every move - she was now walking away, hand in hand with the silver man - that she barely noticed her podium had started to rise up. It was only when her hair began to blow in the wind that she realised she was back in the open air. Within two minutes she could be dead.

A claxon went off, signalling it was 60 seconds before the 14 teenagers could step off their platform and begin the blood bath which was the games.

30 seconds...

10...

5...

Chloe's palms were sweaty.

4...

She looked around at the her competition.

3...

Maddie, she noticed, was silently praying, along with her sister.

2...

They were all getting ready to step off their podiums.

1...

Chloe turned and stepped off her podium, turning away from the center of the arena.

The games had officially begun.