Chapter 4

Dedicated to Marsi (if I'm okay to call you that) coz she's the best <3

She was pulled harshly out of the crowd, crazy thoughts rushing round her head like a wildfire. As Chloe was guided up to the stage at the front, toward Charlsy and Chloe Nguyen, she fiddled with the bottom of her dress.

She knew there would be nobody there to save her this time- not even her best friends from school or dance would be brave enough. It was obviously her fate, to go and die a miserable death, killed by an innocent child.

Charlsy grabbed both Chloes' hands and pulled them into the air. "Ladies, gentleman, all you lucky boys and girls, this year's Games tributes!"

Charlsy let go of the girls' hands and Chloe's [Lukasiak] dropped limply to her side. She looked through the crowd, as if begging someone to step out and volunteer, just like her cousin had for her a few years before, but nobody did. She saw her mom in the crowd, and tried her best to give her a brave smile, but her mother was staring, straight at the ball where the pieces of paper were. She had no emotion on her face. Chloe found it hard to hold back tears as a guard grabbed her arm. His grip was firmer and less welcoming than the last, and he tightened it still when she tried to pull away.

Chloe was led into a big white room, much like a hospital, inside the District Hall. It had an electric bed and a portable television, a white bedside table holding a phone with a coiled cord attaching it to the socket on the wall. In the corner was a small chest of drawers, and an armchair and three seat sofa in the centre.

The guard closed and locked the door, leaving Chloe alone inside, where she burst into tears and collapsed onto the bed.