Chapter VIII

OBI-WAN KENOBI

"Initiate Reina Tautaski?  Alive, she is?"

The three Jedi aboard the Resolute looked deadly serious, yet Master Yoda found it difficult to believe that the now-sixteen year old that he'd taught as a youngling was living and breathing.  The rest of the Jedi Council looked equally surprised, even the normally stoic Mace Windu. 

"I have no doubt about it.  Ra-Kin's DNA scans match with Reina's.  Besides, we managed to catch a small glimpse into her mind.  That girl in the holding cell is Reina Tautaski.  I'm sure of it." Obi-Wan said firmly.

"Where did you find her?  And how has she remained hidden?" Master Windu sat forward in his seat.

"We are not sure.  She was always skilled with the Force, but blocking a Jedi Master out is something completely different.  I believe that it may have something to do with how she has changed. Her presence in the Force is well shielded, but also completely different from what it used to be."

Anakin snorted before interjecting. "That was most certainly not the old Reina."

Master Yoda frowned.  "Troubling, this is.  See, what did you?"

"We only had time to glimpse into her younger life to confirm it was her before she noticed us Masters." Anakin replied and Obi-Wan strained not to react to that comment. Perhaps that was only what Anakin had seen, but the case was not exactly the same for Kenobi.

What Kenobi had seen was horrible. It had only gone past in flashes, but he remembered backbreaking work in hot mines, only to be relocated to a place in which she was frequently whipped to the point of scars. Days and days without food, but most of all, the overwhelming sense of hopelessness he'd felt. Looking out at the sky every night and knowing that she was going to spend the rest of her life there until the queen got bored of her and had her killed off or sent back to the mines.

Ki-Adi Mundi spoke again, drawing Obi-Wan from his thoughts. "Report to the military, perhaps we should.  We will need to exempt her from service in the war."

"No!" Kenobi said before he could stop himself.  The Council turned to look at him.  A few raised their eyebrows at his outburst.  Kenobi cleared his throat.  "What I mean is that this is an internal affair of the Jedi and discussions of her returning haven't even been broached yet." 

Nor do I imagine they would go well, Kenobi thought ominously.

"Does she have anywhere else to go?" Master Mundi countered.  "It was the Jedi who were responsible for her loss - it is only right we provide her sanctuary, surely?"

"The choice will be hers." Kenobi reaffirmed sternly.  Anakin and Ahsoka glanced uncertainly at the elder Jedi, unused to seeing him chafe so outwardly against another Council member.  He recollected himself slightly.  "However, I will speak with her about it.  I just need time."

Many glances were exchanged and some heads shook as the Council conversed among themselves quietly, but then Mace Windu turned back to the Jedi on the Resolute. "The Council have agreed to your request Master Kenobi.  In the meantime, Master Skywalker, get your men back to Kamino space to rest and service your fleet as appropriate.  I'm afraid your trip to Coruscant has been delayed - you are needed on Felucia in two rotations time."