Chapter XX

OBI-WAN KENOBI

"This place has always been where our parents told us to go if our home was attacked." The boy spoke timidly, guiding the Jedi Master and clones, droid by his side.  "They programmed T-2 to protect us if we were found."

"Jansan, I believe I have asked you to call me by my full name." The droid addressed the boy, slightly testily. 

"Droids always hate being called by their nicknames." Trapper muttered grumpily.

The boy - Jansan - ignored the droid.  "We've been here for a little while now hoping someone would show.  We didn't think you would be the first."

"We?" Kenobi queried.  

Jansan nodded towards a small tent ahead with the entrance drawn.  "The other kids are in there, but we're all pretty scared.  It's probably better if you don't have your weapons out." His gaze drifted over their rifles and blasters.

"Weapons away men" Kenobi ordered, adhering to the boy's advice.

Jansan straightened his dirtied and creased clothes as best he could.  The dark mop of hair on his head was dishevelled and his nails were back with grime but he still carried himself with about as much bravery as a seven-year old could carry.  Tugging back the tarp, he called "It's okay guys.  They're not tinnies."

Inside was maybe a dozen and a half of kids, from young toddlers to just bordering on teenage years, with a couple even cradling babies in their arms, swaddled in blankets.  All looked hungry and dirty.  None looked happy.

"This many?  What was your plan?" Kenobi asked, baffled and admittedly, slightly stumped at what to do with so many children.

Jansan sat down.  "We were heading towards the city.  Our family may be... gone," His voice wavered on the last word, and someone in the back of the tent sobbed.  "Our parents told us this might happen.  There are people who'll take care of us in the city walls."

"That place is heavily fortified though.  The only way into Hannak is through the main city gates."

The child looked reluctant to speak for a moment until a girl around his age whispered indiscreetly, "Tell them."

Kenobi probed as gently as he could and asked, "Tell us what?"

His fingers fiddled at the hem of his clothing, thinking before somewhat reluctantly speaking.  "This place - none of us have been here before - but our parents told us it was how they got supplies."

"It was a smuggling route for the village resistance." Longshot realised.

"If we came here like we were told, we were going to use the tunnels underneath the nearby mountains to shortcut to the city.  But we don't know how to get into the city once we're there."

"Sir." Waxer addressed the general.  "This could be our chance to rendezvous with the Commanders.  We should take this opportunity."

"Would you allow that?" Kenobi asked the children softly.  He couldn't help but take pity on them.  They had lost everything, yet here they were trying to organise a potentially dangerous journey with no support except a single droid for protection.  "We will keep you safe to the city."

Probably without realising it, Jansan's face lit up.  "Really?" he asked tentatively.

Smiling gently, Kenobi kneeled down and ruffled his hair comfortingly.  "Really.  Mark my words Jansan - in fact, all of you.  We will get you to your people in the city safely.  And after that, we'll make sure to get rid of the Separatists, so you don't have to be afraid anymore.  I promise."