Chapter XVI

SEPERATISTS

"General, you seem in an awfully chipper mood after discovering the Republic is planetside." The young woman kept up easily with the Devaronian's massive strides through the military base as she tucked a loose strand of chestnut hair behind her ear. In one arm she toted a holo-pad which she would glance at frequently letting her eyes scan over the numbers. "Are you not even slightly concerned about that fact? They did land right under our noses."

"I have to admit that it is slightly annoying. Can you take a look at our scanners Lillith? It would appear that the Republic engineering division has been working overtime in order to sneak past our atmospheric sensors." He tugged at his sleeves, ensuring that the creases were straightened out before continuing. "However, it's a refreshing change of pace to see the Republic smartening up, I can't deny."

She glared at him over thin rimmed spectacles. "You should know better than that. Don't get cocky."

"You know, you should speak to me with more respect my little strategist." He stopped as they reached a security door in which the Devaronian dramatically swiped his security pass over before turning and feigning a look of hurt towards her. "You're the only person who doesn't appreciate my talents in this place."

She decided not to give him the satisfaction of a reaction as she tapped away curtly at the datapad. "I appreciate them. What I appreciate less is your terrible sense of humour." She jabbed a finger into his chest before sweeping past into the office.

He pouted slightly. Lillith Avadrio was not a woman who struck you as stern on first glance. She was of the human species, and a short one at that, not even scratching the General's shoulders when they stood side by side. She was surgically attached to her datapad and was rarely seen without her hair half falling out of being looped into a scruffy low bun. And yet, the aura she left around her was that of a scolding librarian who shot a filthy look at you if you sneezed. Not that she was unpleasant, but she wasn't someone of whom the General particularly wanted to pick a fight with in fear that she would expose every last embarrassing feat he'd accomplished in the past decade. As she propped herself against a wall, she finally looked up fully from the datapad.

"In all seriousness though, once I've looked at these detectors, you need to make a move. I listened to that call you made via the prisoners - and this Ra-Kin Ullilford - I don't like her. She clocked on a little too fast for my liking."

"I'm already forming a strategy to move them off world. We just need to advance forwards towards whatever dinky little base camp they have set up, before they have a chance to get organised. And that's where you come in." he strolled leisurely to the other side of the room before walking around the back of a desk and settling in the chair. Lillith couldn't help but think he moved with an unnatural grace, almost cat-like.

"I get it." she remarked. "You want me to pinpoint their base."

"I'll confess that I don't know the outlands as well as you.  I know you probably didn't pull your nose from the holo-net, whilst reading up on this dustball." He grinned, but she could sense an undercurrent of banter to it. It wasn't that he didn't value her - they'd been friends now for so many years that she'd lost count, but it was rare that they didn't have a conversation now without a few hints of ribbing in it.

"Alright.  And why should I waste my time doing a tactical droid's work? I could be tightly wrapped up on a nice big city planet right now in bed but you convinced me to travel all the way out here. We may be friends but unfortunately your gratitude doesn't pay my taxes."

The General pulled a face. "Jeez Lillith , you don't pull your punches do you?  Okay.  Firstly, drinks are on me."

"I'll need a little more than that." Lillith deadpanned.