Chapter 11: Love Obstacles

Lexa's perspective

As I flew through this bunker, the place the Mountain Men called 'home' I just hoped that I wasn't too late. That I hadn't been played a fool and let my emotions get the best of me. I had always remained stoic and in control of my life and emotions for any years but that had begun to change ever since Clarke had come into my life.

In many respects I felt better off for it now that on occasion I allowed myself to feel, but I just hoped that my feelings hadn't compromised my sound judgement and affected my actions and cost me dearly.

It seemed to take an eternity for me to make my way back up to the surface but I finally managed it and was the only one there to bear witness to what stood before me. There was a pile of bodies lying around the bed I had left Clarke on, the bodies of my people. That chilling sight set me into an uncharacteristic panic as I raced over to her all sense of self and being on guard for danger forgotten.

I pressed my fingers to her neck to check her pulse and it was still there and I allowed an audible sigh of relief to leave my body. As I looked more closely at her prone body I yet again saw another note with a simple message scrawled on it,

'It would have been too easy. Until next time...'

The rest of the immediate post war procedures were a haze to me as I paid little attention to much else as I made sure Clarke made it back to her people for further assessment of her condition. Those she was closest to back at her home deserved to see her before any plans for the future that I saw for her & I could be implemented.

The entire time she remained unconscious but peacefully so and I wasn't going to leave her side until she woke. Inevitably I was pulled into a slumber of my own, filled with uncertain and unsettling dreams. A loud noise startled me to the waking world once more and on reflex I'd drawn a small knife I had carefully hidden and swung in front of me hit nothing but air.

When I noticed her watching me I was embarrassed a touch by my display, the heat rising in my cheeks as I looked downward for a moment as I re-holstered the knife. This feeling was quickly displaced by relief at seeing her awake.

Jumping to my feet I strode over to her and quickly took a hand of hers in one of mine. I wanted to know how she was feeling and naturally she wanted to know everything that had happened ever since she passed out. I had something I wanted to say first however.

I'd finally done it. I'd finally managed to tell Clarke of my plans for the future, at least the immediate future. I also realised that I told her that I loved her without even thinking twice about it. That felt like an immense weight off my back just to say those words to her.

I followed up my announcement by doing the one thing I'd been wanting to ever since I knew she was going to be okay and that was to kiss her once more. Her lips were like sampling the sweetest fruit, one taste left you wanting more and more.

Sadly on this occasion we were interrupted by none other than her mother who glared daggers at me. Her disapproval of my affection for her one and only daughter plain for even the blind to see.

"Can I have a moment alone with my daughter, Commander?" She asked me but never looking at me.

Even though she couldn't see it, I glared at her fiercely for a moment before nodding. Oh how I wanted to slap her for her frankly petulant and insolent tone. I didn't see her as my equal and after this never would. She wasn't half the woman her daughter was in my eyes so I left not because she asked me to, but because it wouldn't do Clarke nor I any good to enter into a disagreement with her mother.