Chapter 1

Desiree's PoV.

The same routine, every day: wake up, do chores, be abused, cry, starve, go to sleep, repeat. Over and over again, and it doesn't stop. You think I would've gotten used to it, feel nothing towards it, but no, I can't. I might throw away what little feeling I have left. It's impossible. I stare at the blank ceiling. Nothing, nothing new, nothing special. Nobody wants me. They want younger kids, so that they can grow up with them. I sigh, turning over to face the clock: 3:47am. I've never been able to sleep that well. I haven't been for the last 6 years, not with the terrible image of my past burned into my brain.

My parents tied up, sacks over their heads and kneeling, like they were about to be executed. People, bad people with masks to cover their true identity, holding me down, gripping my head so I couldn't look away. Two guns, both pointed at their heads. Screaming, kicking, crying, tears streaming down my face in small rivers.

"Des, we love you," were the last words I heard from them before the pull of a trigger and they were gone, their bodies fell to the floor and I was knocked out, and put in this jail. Tears form in my eyes and I try my best to blink them away. I think about it too much and end up sobbing myself to sleep.

I jolt awake, and get hit over the head.

"Come on maggot, it's time to line up, there's a couple looking to adopt a kid, even though you probably won't get picked, I still have to get you in there, get up and look presentable." The caretaker barks. I roll my eyes.

"Yes Miss Hanagan," I get out of bed, put on my outfit, and walk downstairs.

I get in line next to one of the little kids. Her name is Sophie, and she looks at me and smiles. Holding my hand.

"I hope you get picked De!" She calls me De because she got here when she was four and that was what she's been calling me since she could say it.

"Alright, listen up, you little shrimps. You better make a good impression, apparently the couple coming is famous on the internet. I don't want us to be known badly. If any of you bratty kids do anything, you'll be sorry, got it?" Hanagan demands.

"Yes Miss Hanagan." We all say in unison. The doorbell rings, and Hanagan goes to get it. She plasters on one of those really fake smile, like she's actually happy to see people who are better then her. The couple walk in and greet her. They look over toward us and my eyes widen. It's Adam and Alesa. They must want another kid besides Mason. I smile and try not to fangirl. They walk through the line, ask each child a few questions and then onto the next, and then come to me. I chew on the inside of my cheek, a thing I normally do when I'm nervous.

"So, what's your name?" Adam asks.

"Desiree, sir." I reply.

"How old are you?"

"16, I'll be 17 in a few months though."

"Do you know who we are? You seem fairly nervous."

"Y-yes, Mr. Dalhburg. I'm actually a huge fan of your work sir. Alesa, I love your fashion sense, and how cool you dye your hair."