Chapter 8 - Well, this is going to be one hell of a summer

A month passed by so quick as well as the examination week and before I knew it, it was summer already. Mason and I became friends besides the little arguments we have on which ice cream topping is better. Oh! there are two new couples; Sarah and Chase and Megan and Alec, Megan and Alec are not officially boyfriend and girlfriend but more like friends with benefits that will soon evolve into a couple.

Dylan, mason and I just sit around the lunch table trying not to gag at the love birds cuddling and whispering in front of us. Megan and Alec disappeared somewhere doing who knows what.

Something hit my forehead, I glanced down to see a red jelly bean. I looked up to see Dylan smirking at me as he threw another jelly bean at me which hit my nose and landed into the piece of cake I was currently eating. Dylan tossed me the packet of multicoloured beans and points to a very bored looking Mason.

"Hey Mason! Open up!" I shouted flicking a jelly bean at him.

It hit his cheek and he blinked rapidly before frowning.

"what the - try again!" he whined.

"Then be prepared," I advised with a smirk.

"Fine. I'm ready," I threw another bean at him and he caught it in his mouth.

"Yea!" Dylan cheered and high fived me while Mason did a happy dance in his seat.

"You guys! Stop it! We have an announcement to make," Sarah shushed us. That made us stop.

I gasped, "you're not pregnant, are you?!"

"What!" she cried. "No! Becca!"

"Phew!" I exaggerated then snickered.

"Anyway...my dad came up with the idea that you guy's should spend the summer at our beach cottage," Sarah said.

"You guys up for it?" As soon as she said that Megan and Alec sat down at our table.

"Up for what," Alec asked.

"Ugh! That why you guys need to be here when we discuss things, not in a bathroom stall doing whatever you guys do!," Dylan complained.

"Sarah's dad is allowing us to stay in their beach cottage this summer, which might I add, I'm not going because I have to visit my mom. Sorry Sarah." Mason told Sarah.

"Cool, I'm in!" Alec said

"Yea, me too" Megan agreed.

"Hey guys! Don't forget me!" Dylan whined.

Sarah nodded looking at everyone and then finally looking at me meaningfully.

Sarah and Megan knew about my dad. They knew I wouldn't come, even if I really wanted to. They knew I had to be there for Jake and my mom.

I shook my head slightly and Sarah gave me a small smile and nodded while the boys shot me a confused look.

After that I basically blocked everyone out as they spoke about their plans for summer. Mason told them about a few places they should visit while I sat there mute, thinking about my dad and my crying mother and my very tired brother, Jake.

I stood up, telling them that I need to call someone and walked out of the cafeteria. I didn't really have to call someone. I just couldn't take Sarah and Megan's look of sympathy and Mason's confused and observing expression.

I walked in silence toward the collages library. A tear rolled down my face at the thought of my dad not coming back. How will my mum manage the pain? As it is she pretends to be okay. Someone lightly taps my shoulder; I turn around to see Mason smiling. His smile drops once he sees my face and is replaced with worry and concern.