Chapter 7 - The Apology

Chapter 7 - The apology

My week passed quickly. I was visiting mom and Jake for the weekend. So, when I pulled into the driveway of the house I grew up in, a wave of memories hit me. Memories of my dad and I playing baseball in the front yard, my dad swinging Jake around like an airplane, stolen kisses between my mom and dad, the last loving glance and 'I love you' uttered before leaving for his mission where he went MIA.

The was a dull pain in my chest and tingling in my palms. I swallowed the painful lump in my throat and blinked away tears.

Jake came running out of the house and yanked my car door open before I could turn my car off. He pulled me out and enveloped me in a tight hug. I hugged him back.

"I missed you," he whispered.

"I missed you too, bro."

"C'mon mom is waiting for you," he says, letting go of me and heading for my car boot.

I place my hand on his shoulder and turned him to me. He was looking at the wheels on my car. I bent a little to meet his gaze.

"How is she?"

He looks at me, his eyes slightly glazed.

"I take that back, how are you?"

Jake frowns a little, he nods and I embrace him.

"Well be fine, Jake. He'll come back. He will."

"Yeah, you can say that. You're not the one living with a mother who doesn't answer after calling her five times who pretends to be fine when every thing is clearly not. No, you're lucky. Becs you're lucky you don't have to deal with all the drama!" Jake sobs.

I hug him tighter as a tear rolls down my cheek.

"He's going to come back. I know it."

When we got inside, I found my mum in her room, looking through some papers. Probably hospital business. I cleared my throat and she looked up, her forehead in a crease.

When she saw me, she smiled and walked towards me.

"Hey mom," she hugged me.

"Hi sweetie, how are you?"

"I've been good,"

"Aha and how is collage? Are you fitting in?" She asks.

"Yep. Sarah and I have been fitting in quite well, Megan too. And there's this guy -"

"There's a guy?" she interrupts.

I look at her exasperated.

"Who is VERY annoying. He's a jerk, egotistical and absolutely repulsive!"

And then I find myself babbling on; about my first encounter with Mason right up to the party. My mother just looked amused as if she knew something. Strange.

"Wow, he sounds as if he has a stick up his ass." She muttered.

"Mom! Language!"

"What? I'm just stating the facts!"

I grin at her. She has never been this carefree. I missed it. I missed her. And I tell her that.

"I missed you to baby."

Then she announces she's going to make dinner while I catch up with Jake.

*The both of us*

The weekend past really quick. Soon every body was getting ready for exams.

I spent a lot of time in the varsity library.

While sitting there, it surprised me when Mason took a seat beside me. I shot him a look that said 'Don't sit with me.'