Chapter:22

"Mom so happy to see you!" I told her as she got out of her car. "Me too Bailey. Me too." She said. I got her suitcase and several bags from the back end of the car and went inside with them. Archie trailed mom as I set the gift bags by the tree.

I took her suitcase and put it in the bedroom that is never used. Tomorrow was Christmas. I got most of the meal fixed because it was just going to be me and mom this year.

She went out with me to groom the horses. Dally let mom brush him and I did Jolly. Once we were done with the horses I gave mom two apples to give to the horses.

She smiled for the first time since dad passed. I got two bridles and put them on the two. I let her ride Dally because he was easier with unknown people. Like at Halloween when that little girl and her mom rode him, he was gentle and kind to them.

We saddled them and rode down the road a ways before coming back to the house. A truck was parked outside. "Looks like my roping partner is here momma."

We rode up to the house and dismounted. I tied both horses up to the fence and went inside with mom. Jesse and his parents were inside sitting on the couch.

"Knew you'd be back sometime." Jesse exclaimed. "Was out with the horses." I told him taking my coat off. "Have a nice ride?" "Yeah. A few rabbits crossed the road and both didn't spook this time."

"That's better than the last." He told me. "I know." I replied going into the kitchen. Jesse came into the kitchen with me and leaned on the counter.

"So when do we leave?" He asked. "March twentieth." I told him. "I come March eighteenth so we can get some practice in and get ready to leave." He told me. I nodded and fixed myself a cup of hot chocolate.

"So who's sleeping where?" He asked. Over the weekends me and Jesse have been getting closer and closer. Right now he knows me better than Alex ever has.

"Your on the couch. Your parents get the room you usually sleep in and my mom will sleep in the room that's never used." "I hate sleeping on the couch."

"Then you can have the floor." I told him smiling as I walked out of the kitchen. He groaned and followed me.

Jesse was sleeping on the couch, I was in my bed, mom was in the room I never used, and Kollin and Angie were in the room that Jesse usually slept in

Archie was at the foot of the bed as I curled up with my pillow. My bed dipped and an arm went across my waist. "This isn't working." I mumbled.

"It's working for me." He mumbled. I rolled over and kicked his thigh. He fell off the bed and landed with a thud. "But the couch is so uncomfortable." He whined.

I threw him a pillow and the blanket that was at the foot of the bed. "There now you've got the floor." I told him. He grumbled before getting back up in the bed. He didn't touch me he stayed on his side and never came any closer to me.

I got out of bed early and smelled food. I jumped out of bed and pulled my hair back in a messy bun. Jesse was snoring away. "Come on Archie lets go get breakfast." Archie stepped on Jesse and jump off the bed.

"Aw." He said holding himself. "Probably shouldn't of been sleeping on my bed." I told him as I walked out of my room. Archie trailed after me.

I went into the kitchen to find mom, Angie and Kollin talking. Archie went in to greet everyone and I went outside in my pjs to give the horses their Christmas treats. I looked up from the ground to see smoke coming from the stable. "Noooo!!!" I yelled. I ran into the burning stable.

I unlatched their stalls trying to get them out. Dally went out but Jolly was harder to persuade. Finally he budged when a fiery beam fell burning part of his tail. I got on his back and he ran out.

I held onto his neck as he ran for the safe side of the enclosed front yard. Dally came over as a firetruck came up. The gate was open. I held onto Dally and got off Jolly and held him.

Kollin came over and grabbed Dally. I got a hold of my horse better. I took him over to the arena and let him in there. Kollin put Dally inside the ring.

"That was a great thing when you went outside when you did. You and Jess could have lost your horses." He told me. I ran to the trailer not knowing what to do.

I sat down on the pull out couch and laid down. One it was a dumb idea to run into a burning building like that, two I could have lost my life trying to save the horses, three..........

Tears fell from my eyes. Arms wrapped around me and pulled me close. My temple was kissed and I was brought closer to whoever it was.

"Bailey." Jesse tried to get my attention. "Bailey. Don't beat yourself down for what you did. You saved our horses." He kissed my cheek. I rolled over. "Why the tears pumpkin?"

He wiped away any that he saw. "Please no more. Your much more beautiful smiling." He told me. I gave a small smile. "That's better." He said kissing my forehead. "Come on let's go in the house. It's cold in here." He said picking me up. I smiled wider.

He kissed my forehead before entering the house. Archie followed him inside. He set me in a recliner and sat down in front of me.