Chapter:18

I loaded Jolly up and put Archie in the cab. Jesse came and got Dally yesterday so I didn't have to worry about any animals. I locked the house and got in my truck. The stupid Chevy wouldn't start. It's been doing this for the past week. I was going to miss thanksgiving because of it.

Finally I got out and got the spare battery out of the back. I put it in and started the truck up. It worked now, I got onto the road. My first destination was the dealership. Once I got to one I immediately saw a black f-250.

I parked and went to check it out. It was fully loaded and had black interior except the dashboard. I opened it up and got in. It was comfortable. "May I help you?" A man asked. "Um yes I'm looking for a new truck." "Well this is a nice one to drive whether working on the ranch or cruising the interstate for hours. It's got everything including a wifi network built in." I nodded. The price was fifty thousand, in my sixty thousand budget.

"I think I'll take this one." I told him. "Would you like to trade in your old truck ma'am?" "Yes please." I said getting out. He drove the truck up to the front and I drove up the Chevy.

After I signed the papers and paid for the truck I hitched up my trailer and let Archie in the cab. I shook hands with the man and drove off. I plugged my phone in and shuffled the music. Of course Colt Ford was the first song.

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Duggin' that lightning south paw, dialin' in on that power ball,
Raising my pick-up truck with a train.
Hooking into a big bass, making me some of cool outcasts,
The way I'm living ain't hard to explain.

I'd rather be lucky than good,
Tough than pretty,
Rockin' in the country than rollin' in the city.
Spend my life rolling them dice,
Instead of living like everybody says I should.
I'd rather be lucky, rather be lucky than good.

Staying at home last night, wonder on a red light,
Knowing when to go all in.
Coming up with the right line, picking up one that's so fine,
Ain't got no business talking to a ten.

I'd rather be lucky than good,
Tough than pretty,
Rockin' in the country than rollin' in the city.
Spending my life rollin' them dice,
Instead of living like everybody says I should.
I'd rather be lucky, rather be lucky than good.

I'd rather be lucky than good,
Country than hood,
Any ol' out bailin' hay,
Fixin' my truck, gettin' it stuck,
Covered in mud, ice cold Bud.
Wettin' that line, sippin' that shine,
Eatin' fried chicken, guitar pickin'

(Give it to 'em)
(Now crank it up)

Hey, do you like the way
Colt Ford is thumping
Got the stereo pumping.
Hey, do you like the way
Cold Ford is pumping
Got the girls all jumpin'

I'd rather be lucky than good,
Tough than pretty,
Rockin' in the country than rollin' in the city.
Spending my life rollin' them dice,
Instead of living like everybody says I should.
I'd rather be lucky, rather be lucky than good.

Hey, do you like the way
Colt Ford is thumping
Got the stereo pumping.
Hey, do you like the way
Cold Ford is pumping
Got the girls all jumpin'

Once I crossed the state line into Arkansas I stopped for diesel and check out my trailer. It was still good, I got Jolly out and walked him and Archie letting them stretch their legs. Once I was fueled up and had the animals loaded I went inside and used the bathroom plus a drink.

Once I was back in my truck I hit the road. "Man the family is not going to recognize me in this." I said aloud. Archie yipped and got into the back seat. He laid down and dozed off. I drove until Memphis and got some sleep.

I returned my room key and walked both animals before getting breakfast and hitting the road

I returned my room key and walked both animals before getting breakfast and hitting the road. I was halfway home when my phone rang. "Hello."
"Bailey. How far away are you from Summerville?" Mom asked.
"About four hours. Why?"
"Think you can try and make it two?"
"Mom what's wrong?"
"Your father entered a bull riding competition for retired riders and the bull got him good. Their taking him off life support in two hours."
"I'll try to make it in three. Convince them to keep him on for another hour and a half. Please mom, I want to see dad again alive before I go out farther into the world."
"I'll try baby girl."

I sped up hitting eighty. Swerving through traffic and dodging Simi trucks. I was thirty minutes from the hospital when mom called back. "How far hon?"
"Thirty minutes and counting down."  I told her.
"They just came in and said their doing it in forty five minutes. I asked if they could make it an hour and they agreed. Hurry your father has been wanting you here."
"I'm hurrying mamma. I'm hurrying." I said almost crying. She hung up and I sped up to eighty five, trying not to get caught or wreck.

I slowed down once I got to Summerville. After I parked far from the building I ran inside and there was Waylon, my cousin. "Bailey." He told me where to go and I jogged to the elevator. Once on the right floor I went straight to the waiting room.

Mom came over and hugged me tight. Waylon came up behind us. Then a doctor came in. "Ready?" He asked us. Mom led me to dad's room and opened the door. My entire body almost shook as I saw dad, he was pale and gone.

I walked over to the bed and sat down at the foot. It was extremely hard for me.