Chapter 3: Sophia

Nathan's POV

I woke up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. I looked on Maddie's bed and saw she wasn't there.

"Could that be Lia?"

The night I yelled at her was when I decided to give her some space. I decided to apologize to her so I went to her room.

I started to open the door.

"Hey Lia listen I-"

I looked around the room and realized she wasn't inside.

"Hey um Lia? You there?"

"C'mon Lia stop playing around. Maddie is awake I'm pretty sure she wants to see you. About yesterday..... I'm sorry I just couldn't bare seeing Maddie injured..."

After saying this I noticed she wasn't in the room at all. So I decided to go downstairs to see if Maddie is with Lia.

"Lia can I just talk to you for a se-"

Maddie looked at me with a questioned face.

"Umm Nate are you ok? Call Lia tell her I made breakfast."

"Maddie you're ok."

I walked towards Maddie and gave her a bear hug and kissed her forehead. She smiled.

"I thought Lia was with you? She isn't in her room for some odd reason..."

Maddie's smile slowly faded.

"What do you mean she isn't in her room where could she be then? She sometimes leaves when she's down about something but-"

Maddie turned to me and put her coffee down.

"Nathan did you do or say something to Lia?"

I looked down realizing she is very serious because she actually called me Nathan instead of Nate.

"When I saw you were injured I freaked out on her... I said some things I shouldn't have... I made her cry and she left the house..."

"Nathan what did you say."

"Well she told me she was selling drugs because she needed the money. At this point I was furious. So I told her, well I-"

"Spit it out Nathan." Maddie said with a stern look.

"Ok ok.... I said 'And you call  yourself her bestfriend' I didn't mean to hurt her feelings..."

"Nathan you know that would hurt her feelings why would you say that-"

"Wait we should really find her she could be in some serious danger."

Both Nathan and Maddie went to the one spot they knew where Lia goes to think.

(At the park)

"Maddie look!"

Nathan picked up Lia's phone that was on the side of the road near the sidewalk.

"It's Lia's phone." Maddie held the partially cracked phone.

"Maddie this isn't good we need to find Lia now!"

"Where could she possible be Nathan!" Maddie looked at me with tears in her eyes. I could tell she was angry so I tried to calm her down. I pulled her in my arms and hugged her tightly.

"Shh calm down Maddie we'll find her."

"B-but she..... could be in...... danger..." Maddie said through her sobbing.

I looked into Maddie's eyes and made sure she calms down.

"Maddie I promise we will find her ok?"