CHAPTER 6 : I Make Friends

o6|I Make Friends

IT'S been twenty-two days. Twenty-two days since we settled in our new 'home'. Today is my official first day of senior year. And with Aves' art and ballet classes, she's been out of the house a lot. I've been spending most of my days exploring around town. I had applied for my license and thankfully, passed the test. I should get my licence any day now. Captain Rodney sent my dad's black Honda Civic from New York. It had just been lying in our garage since then. It took all my self restraint not to take it out for a spin.

This town actually ain't that bad. But the worst part is that I never saw 'Percy' again.

Wait a second! Why is that the worst part? It's not! The last thing I need right now is a guy in my life. Also, I can bet he doesn't need a messed-up, confused --- not to mention, not-so-human --- girl like me either.

But what about that feeling when I touched him? I've never felt that before! I wonder if he felt it too? If he did, he didn't let it show.

I sighed. Three weeks in and I'm a walking contradiction.

I was so consumed in my thoughts, that I didn't even realize I had an hour left for school. I quickly got dressed and packed some lunch --- two leftover slices of pizza. I know, pathetic.

I lived just ten minutes away from school. Then why the hurry you ask? Well, I wanna reach a bit early to familiarize myself with the campus.

Okay, fine! I admit it. That's a big fat lie. I'm just really bored.

Like I said, it took me ten minutes on the dot to reach. I was astounded. The place looked pretty good. When Ava and I came to check out my school, we couldn't really see past the gates, since school was closed for summer. The building itself looked really clean --- you know, considering it's a school. The gardens were filled with greenery. This place really is something. There were just a few people around. Honestly? I was shocked to even see them. I didn't expect anyone to be around. I was early. A broad pathway led to the main gate of the school. On either side of the path were gardens. Also, benches were placed opposite each other on both sides of the path.

Most of the people, I observed, were in groups. And each group had a minimum of four people. As I walked, I noticed a girl sitting on one of the benches. She was wearing skinny jeans, a loose top and had pulled her black hair into a ponytail. She had rectangular glasses with a black frame. But what struck me as peculiar was that she was alone. Perhaps, the only one here not accompanied by someone else. She was seated ahead, on a bench closer to the school, totally engrossed in the book she was reading. I didn't even notice I was staring at her, until she frowned while reading, lifted her head and looked directly at me --- still frowning. I immediately shifted my gaze to my boots. I soon realized I would have to cross her path to enter the school. Fish!

As I approached her, I began to walk swiftly. The way she had looked at me . . . It was like she could see through my soul. Like she knew everything about me. Frankly, it was kinda creepy.

I was crossing her path --- successfully --- I thought, until I heard, "What? Ignoring your fellow amissium?"

I froze in my steps.

Please tell me she said, 'Ignoring you fellow. I miss him'. Please! I know it didn't make sense. But I don't care. As long as she didn't say 'amissium'. Anything but that! I clenched my fists and reluctantly turned in her direction. I was petrified. The Maiores told me not to let anyone find out, or they'd kill the person. Maybe I should find out this girl's name before I attend her funeral . . .

"Relax! The Maiores won't do anything." Okay, now she's just reading my mind. She gestured for me to sit beside her. I walked towards her and sat down "Kate Doyle", I introduced. "I'm Lee Andrews. Class Dyo. You must be the new kid."