VIII

CHAPTER EIGHT; SEASON SIX
|ONE EYED GRIMES|

"It's getting worse"

___

Once back in Alexandria, Maggie had stayed at the entrance, waiting for them. Her first instinct was looking for Glenn, hugging him to death. Everyone else scattered to their own place, tired from the killing. Standing awkwardly a few feet away from the couple, part being that she was staying with them and had no knowledge of where their house was. She had gained control of herself midway into the drive back, big thanks to Carol whom had helped her.
She'd let her new group see her at her vulnerability, but they understood.

Soon enough the couple parted and notice her presence.

"Let's go home"
___

Her presence was known for silence, as she had come to be quiet among everyone. Maggie would encourage her greet and meet people, but she had declined nicely at her attempts.

Her walks around the blocks had become frequent as an old couple who sat on their porch, would always wave and offer some tea. Her gut always said yes to them, but the declines were frequently met. Her goal for one of these days, was to say yes and enjoy the feeling of civilization again. Although she did not want to test her luck yet.

Walking near the entrance, a whistle instinctively made her turn, as she met eyes with Daryl. A wave brought her over towards the rusty old pick up he sat in.

"Do me a fav-"

"No" A small smile made itself onto her face, as she saw his annoyed look he gave "I'm kidding, what?"

"Open the gate"

"Open the gate why?"

"Cause' I said so"

"Abrah-Cadabraaa" she waved her hands out towards the gates, gaining chuckles from the two ladies whom also sat beside him. She recognized Rosita, as she sent her a small wave. The other she did not know, so she introduced myself

"Hi, I'm Lucille"

"Denise, doctor" She met her hand half way, her elbow shoved in Daryls face.

"Can you open the gate for us please?" Rosita mischievously smiled, playing along with her

"Of course! Good luck out there guys!"

She skipped to the gates, opening them as the truck came forward. She smiled widely and waved towards Daryl as he just smirks and shakes his head.
She was halfway pulling the gate closed as another pair of arms pulled with her. A boy stood there, with a small smile on his face.

"Hi"

"I just wanted to help, I'm Carl by the way"

"Lucille"

"Heard you were new, how is it so far? here in Alexandria" He nodded towards the houses

"It's been interesting, nothing compared to out there"

"You went with them to the hilltop right? And the Saviors base?" He asked as he signaled for a walk

"Yeah, I had to gamble for the Savior base"

He lightly chuckled, as we reached a bench "So um, who are you staying with?"

"Glenn and Maggie?"

The conversation went on for the rest of the afternoon, as if they both just needed to be teens for a short while. The talk went from favorite shows they remembered, to teachers who they hated. In the short amount of time, Carl had become an acquaintance that didn't just talk to her because of pity.

Interrupting their talk, the gates were opened and the same rusty old pickup came inside Alexandria. The doors were opened and revealed a unconscious Eugene and a distraught Abraham, Rosita and Daryl.

No Denise came out of the truck.

___

"It's getting worse" Maggie whispered

"Not a surprise"

"Where did you go this afternoon?" Glenn asked turning towards Lucille

"Just went for a walk" she answered

"Uh, this little bird told me you were talking to sheriff Grimes" Maggie sang as she rose her eyebrows

"I didn't talk to Rick today?" she said confused as her eyebrows furrowed

"No I meant Carl, Ricks son"

Those blue eyes were somewhat familiar to her

"Oh yeah, proud of me?" she joked as she knew Maggie had been constantly telling her to interact with people

"Very!" She laughs as Glenn only shakes his head, amazed.

"So have you considered staying, for like, ever?" Glenn asked

"Um, this whole staying here was for a base. Somewhere to come back to when I look for my dad, but um I haven't even started"

"I don't think right now is a right time to go out and look for a person, it's dangerous and not just because of the walkers" Maggie added

"I know that now" Her response coming soft "I don't want to look for him anymore"

"Are you sure?" Glenn looked at her worriedly

"He can come find me"