Chapter 13 Nationals

Effy's POV
It was the morning of nationals and I was passed out on Sam's lap.
"What the hell am I doing in yours and Blaine's and Artie's room?" I enquired. Sam laughed.
"Dude you were loaded last night and your floor is a floor above us. Being drunk and stairs isn't the best combo" Sam explained. I laughed and got up.
"You better go and shower, we're leaving in half an hour" Sam explained. I groaned and got to me feet.
"Why did I drink so much last night? What even happened?" I asked, my vision was slightly blurry as well.
"I remember you said something about being ready to screw Ryder, your words not mine and that Kitty slept with Seth last night so you needed to drink to get rid of that image" Sam laughed he was already in his clothes. The boys were wearing black shirts with red suspenders, black pants and shiny shoes. Sam looked kind of sexy in his uniform.
"Damn you clean up nice Evans" I laughed as I flattened down his hair which was already getting long again.
"You need another haircut already" I giggled.
"I like it short I might cut it again when I get back" Sam replied. I laughed and went to the door.
"I'm just hoping that they aren't still doing it up there" I muttered as I left. I began my ascent to my room. Did I really tell Sam I was ready to do it with Ryder? I was but did I really tell Sam that, Sam tells Tina everything and Tina's the biggest gossip I know. If Jake found out Ryder would be dead, oh god what if Puck found out. I reached the door to my room. I knocked.
"Is it safe to come in?" I asked loudly. I heard a muffled yes through the door. I walked in. Marley and Kitty were already in their dresses. We were wearing black dresses with a red band and trim and black heel boots. I showed and got my dress on in under fifteen minutes. After getting into my boots and started on my makeup.
"Should I wear lipstick?" I shouted to Marley who was in the hallway making out with Jake.
"If you want to look like a prostitute then yes" Marley replied. I don't think so. I put on eye shadow and left it at that.
---------------------------
Ryder's POV
My first nationals, I didn't think I would come this far after the whole Unique catfish situation, which I still hadn't forgave her, him...whatever for. I didn't want to sound vain, but I looked smoking in suspenders.
"Stop admiring yourself in the mirror and help me pack. We're leaving tomorrow and this place looks like a shit hole" Seth shouted.
"He has to admire himself he's the only one who hasn't got laid on this trip" Jake laughed.
"Do you want me to plow your sister?" I asked which shut him up straight away. He gave me a death glare.
"You and Marley had been planning to do it for weeks and you and Kitty were both out of it. Me and Effy aren't there yet" I explained.
"Dude you say her name in your sleep" Seth laughed.
"Zip it you" I warned while straightening my tie.
"I'll pretend I didn't hear that" Jake muttered. We all looked bro-tastic in our uniforms.
"We're so going to win today" Seth laughed while knocking on the wooden bedside table.
---------------------------
No one's POV
"Oh my god Nicki Minaj is judging" Kitty squealed, Kitty loved Nicki Minaj.
"Great now we won't win unless we have a cheap hair colour" Bree bitched. Kitty growled at her. Effy kind of liked Nicki Minaj, she wasn't a role model she says she has two personalities.
"Presenting our celebrity judges recording star Nicki Minaj, internationally ranked movie star Anne Hathaway and New Yorks own Funny girl Rachel Berry" everyone screamed at the mention of Rachel being a judge.
"First up from Akron, Ohio we have vocal adrenalin".
"Aka, the enemy" Blaine growled. Blaine ha gone into full on combat mode. Sam was trying to calm him down but he was like a fucking animal. It did turn Sam on a bit but they said they wouldn't do it until they were in college. Vocal Adrenalin took the stage in their tacky bright blue silk shirts and dresses.

"Vocal Adrenalin:
Yeah yeah yeah

Yeah yeah yeah

Yeah yeah yeah

Yeah yeah yeah

I love you
But I gotta stay true
My morals got me on my knees
I'm beggin' please
Stop playin' games

I don't know what this is
Cause you got me good
Just like you knew you would

I don't know what you do
but you do it well
I'm under your spell.

You got me beggin' you for Mercy (yeah yeah yeah)
Why won't you release me (yeah yeah yeah)
You got me beggin' you for mercy (yeah yeah yeah)
Why won't you release me (yeah yeah yeah)
I said release me (yeah yeah yeah)

Now you think that I
Will be somethin' on the side
But you got to understand that I need a man who can take my hand
yes I do

I don't know what this is
but you got me good
just like you knew you would

I don't know what you do
But you do it well
I'm under your spell

You got me beggin' you for mercy
Why won't you release me
You got me beggin' you for mercy
Why won't you release me
I said you better release me (yeah)

I'm beggin' you for mercy
Why won't you release me
I'm beggin' you for mercy
You got me beggin, you got me beggin', you got me beggin'

Mercy
Why won't you release me
I'm beggin' you for mercy
Why won't you release me

You got me beggin' you for Mercy
I'm beggin' you for Mercy
I'm beggin' you for mercy

Why won't you release me yeah
yeah
break it down" Vocal Adrenalin were busting out some incredible dance moves. A girl stepped forward as well as a curly haired guy.
"That's Miranda and James Colt aka Jessie St James' favourite play toys" Unique explained.

"Miranda:
Sour Candy, endings...
Coffee stains, where?
Boy I'm so tangled up in my
Big sunglasses and, bed hungry
Second day fair

James:
Oh we went under
The weight was too much to carry and
I felt the thunder
Mr. Don't look so scared
I never knew, I never knew
That I could be so sad
We went under

Vocal Adrenalin:
I've been very cautious
Trying numbness, instead of pain
Your humor makes me, makes me nauseous
what a twisted, twisted, twisted game.

No we went under
The weight was too much to carry in
I felt the thunder
Mr. Don't Look So Scared
I never knew, I never knew
That I could be so sad we went under

James:
Oh get yourself home
You leave him alone
On second thought
I regret the pink stiletto
oh, oh

Vocal Adrenalin:
Sour Candy... endings..
And I was barely even there.

Miranda:
No we went under,
The weight was too much to carry in
I felt the thunder,
Mr. Don't look so scared
I never knew I never knew
That I could be so sad... so sad... so sad.. so sad..
So sad...We went under".
"Damn they were good" Ryder pointed out.
"Let's just hope we're better" Effy replied.
---------------------------
Effy's POV
We were backstage ready to perform. Ryder had his arms wrapped around my waist and his head resting on top of mine.
"You nervous?" Ryder enquired while swaying me side to side.
"Not so much nervous as really really buzzed" I replied while running finger along his arm.
"Now from Lima, Ohio. Last years national champions The New Directions" The announcer called.
"Let's get to work" I laughed. All of us took to the stage. This was my first competition I wanted to do good, me and Kitty wrote the mashup so I really hoped we didn't mess up. The band started playing.

"The boys(Effy):
We've come too far to give up who we are

(Welcome to the new age, to the new age.
Welcome to the new age)
So let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars

Sam:
Like the legend of the phoenix
All ends with beginnings
What keeps the planet spinning (uh)
The force of love beginning

Tina and Marley:
I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus

Jake:
This is it, the apocalypse
Whoa

Ryder, Artie, Seth and Sam(Bree, Unique, Effy and Tina):
I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow
Welcome to the new age, to the new age

(She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some
She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky

We're up all night 'til the sun
We're up all night to get some
We're up all night for good fun
We're up all night to get lucky)
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

Seth:
I'm waking up to ash and dust
I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust
I'm breathing in the chemicals

Marley and Kitty:
We've come too far to give up who we are
So let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars

Jake and Ryder(Effy, Kitty and Marley):
I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow
Welcome to the new age, to the new age

(She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some
She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky

We're up all night to get lucky
We're up all night to get lucky)
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive" the crowd was off their seats roaring with applause. I guess I did good. All of us except Tina and Blaine since they were doing the duet. I ran into Ryder's arms and we started making out.
"That was great babe. I love you" Ryder laughed.
"That's great" I replied, Ryder looked a little taken back by my response, like I could see a little bit of his soul wither.

"Tina:
All I knew this morning when I woke
Is I know something now, know something now I didn't before.
And all I've seen since eighteen hours ago
Is green eyes and freckles in your smile
In the back of my mind making me feel right

I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now

Both:
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you, know you, know you

'Cause all I know is we said, "Hello."
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
You'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed

Blaine:
And all my walls stood tall painted blue
And I'll take them down, take them down and open up the door for you

Both:
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you, know you, know you

'Cause all I know is we said, "Hello."
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
And you'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed

Come back and tell me why
I'm feeling like I've missed you all this time, oh, oh, oh.
And meet me there tonight
And let me know that it's not all in my mind.

Tina:
I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now
I just wanna know you, know you, know you

Both:
All I know is we said, "Hello."
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
You'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed

Tina:
All I know is we said, "Hello."
So dust off your highest hopes
All I know is pouring rain and everything has changed
All I know is a new found grace
All my days I'll know your face
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed" the two sang very well. I felt awkward just being near Ryder after my response to his I love you. We all went back onto the stage for Beautiful Day.

"Ryder:
The heart is a bloom
Shoots up through the stony ground
There's no room
No space to rent in this town

Jake:
You're out of luck
And the reason that you had to care
The traffic is stuck
And you're not moving anywhere

Marley:
You thought you'd found a friend
To take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand
In return for grace

All:
It's a beautiful day
Sky falls, you feel like
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away

Effy:
You're on the road
But you've got no destination
You're in the mud
In the maze of her imagination

Sam:
You love this town
Even if that doesn't ring true
You've been all over
And it's been all over you

All:
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away
It's a beautiful day

Tina:
Touch me
Take me to that other place
Teach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case

Artie and Kitty:
See the world in green and blue
See China right in front of you
See the canyons broken by cloud
See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out
See the Bedouin fires at night
See the oil fields at first light
And see the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colors came out

All:
It was a beautiful day
Don't let it get away
Beautiful day

Seth and Bree:
Touch me
Take me to that other place
Reach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case

All:
What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
What you don't have you don't need it now
Don't need it now
Was a beautiful day" we all sang. The curtain fell as soon as we finished.
---------------------------
Rachel, Nicki and Anne went centre stage.
"Alright guys it has been a year since I stood here and it feels great to be back. The top three performances have been awarded to Vocal Adrenalin, Acca-tones and the New Directions" Rachel announced. The three clubs went to the stage.
"In third place..." Rachel began as she opened the golden envelope.
"...The Acca-Tones" Rachel cheered in fake enthusiasm. They took their trophy and left. Leaving the remaining two teams stood in anticipation. I gripped Kitty's hand tightly.
"In second place..." she began opening the envelope. She looked stunned at the result.
"...A tie for the first time in show choir history both Vocal Adrenalin and The New Directions" Rachel announced. I didn't know whether to cheer or to punch her.
---------------------------
•MERCY - DUFFY
•SOUR CANDY - CARLEY RAE JEPSEN
•RADIOACTIVE/ GET LUCKY - IMAGINE DRAGONS/ DAFT PUNK(---------->)
•EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED - TAYLOR SWIFT AND ED SHEERAN
•BEAUTIFUL DAY - U2