Chapter 4

I walked into sociology and took a seat next to Harry, on a table for four, facing Ella and Ethan. Tobi had decided to take a seat with Vik nearby.

"Hey guys and gals!" A cheerful teacher said, strolling into the classroom. "I'm Mr Tudge. Your sociology teacher. And these seats look unmistakably like you've chosen them yourselves, and haven't taken the time to look at my carefully devised plan which is here on the whiteboard for all to see," he smiled, despite a universal groan escaping everybody in the room.

"So, Savannah, you're next to Olajide... Have fun," he said, with a sympathetic smile. I looked over and felt a desperate need to get the hell out of there as I saw who he meant.

"Oh god, not her," he said, equally distraught as I threw my bag on the floor and scraped my chair out. Josh looked over at him and shook his head as he took a seat next to Ella. To my horror, Vik was next to the boy who I hadn't yet put a name to, but for some reason couldn't get out of my mind. No. Stop it Sav, I thought to myself harshly. He was bad news, clearly. Plus, he'd been nothing but horrible to me. Why was I even giving him a second thought?

The lesson dragged horribly slowly, and Olajide, or should I say, JJ, was incredibly annoying. He kept whispering to Josh, tapping his pen and whenever he wrote something, he leant across the whole desk, and I had very little room to keep away from him as he sprawled out.

"Wanna come out tonight?" Ella asked as we arrived back into the room and sat on the bed. "Sure," I agreed. "I spoke to Ethan and Tobi about it, and they suggested we went bowling and got a burger and chips at the diner there," she explained. "I'd love to come," I agreed. "Let's get ready then!" She exclaimed, plugging her curlers in and getting her makeup bag out.

"Hey, could I borrow that lipstick?" Ella asked as we sifted through each others stuff. "Sure. Mind if I use that eyeshadow palette?" I replied. "All yours, if I can use your highlighter," she giggled.

An hour later, and we were ready. I had an oversized baby pink teeshirt, some baggy ripped jeans that were rolled up and my white converse. Ella had curled my hair and I was wearing all my rings, which I hadn't been doing in school. "You look so good!" She smiled. "Woah, you too," I grinned, looking at her outfit. It was a teeshirt dress, some knee socks and a pair of converse, like mine. Her hair was in plaits and she looked really pretty.

"Ethan's in for a treat," I winked. "Oi," she chuckled. "Speaking of boys, have you seen anyone that... You're kind of liking the look of?" She said, nudging me. I tried not to look guilty as a picture of a nameless blonde boy with piercing eyes flickered to life in my head.

"You've gone bright red. Say something!" She giggled, jumping up and down. "He's tall... In our English..." I began. "Harry?" She asked. "No... Not Harry. Me and him both know it's purely platonic," I reminded her. "I swear to god, if you say Simon, I'm... Just don't," she sighed. "Simon? Who's that?" I frowned. "The one you were staring at all lunch time," she replied in exasperation. "That's Simon?" I gasped. "Yeah. Stay away if you know what's good for you, and for the love of God, don't tell the boys," she warned me.

"Does he... You know, have a girlfriend?" I asked carefully. "Girlfriend? Pfft, next joke," Ella said. "Honestly, he'd ruin you Sav. Absolutely ruin you. He just hooks up with different girls and claims to have 'commitment issues," she added, rolling her eyes.

Ella seemed to forget about the situation as we got into the game of bowling. To my surprise and delight, Vik showed up, and I was so happy to see him enjoying himself. This morning, he had looked miserable and afraid, almost shrunken into himself. Now, we were getting a taste of the real Vik, and everybody was loving it. He was hilarious, kind and I could tell everyone was happy he had joined us.

"Well... Ethan wins, again," Harry said matter of factly as Ethan scored his final strike. He turned around to hug who he thought was Tobi, but who was actually Ella. They looked extremely surprised as they embraced, and even more awkward afterwards. They were supposed to be best friends, why was it so awkward?

"Hey Ella. Want me to say something to Ethan? I know you're way too shy," I smiled. "Yeah. I wish I could do it myself but you know... I'm way too awkward with him now," she sighed. I nodded in understanding and set to work.

"Ethan, wanna come order the food with me?" I asked him. "Yeah," he agreed, catching up with me. Before I could say anything, he looked me in the eyes. "I like Ella," he muttered quickly. "Hey Ethan, I'm gonna tell you something," I smiled. "She likes you too," I whispered in his ear. "Wait. Seriously?" He asks, his face breaking out into a goofy grin. "Seriously," I nodded, smiling with him. "Go get her Ethan!" I grinned, watching him walk back to Ella.

I wasn't surprised when they sat at a separate booth together and began to act less like best friends and more like... More like, well, they were in love.

But I was surprised when Harry marched over to me and pulled me to one side angrily. What the hell?