Roller Coaster

(Raphael's P.O.V.)

Jerimiah and I head back to his office after leaving Amara's, as seeing that Jerimiah hasn't told me his plan as yet, I sit expectantly and wait for him to explain things.

"You're wondering why I've agreed to work with the League." Jerimiah sits behind his desk, clasping his hands together. "It's called strategy, boy. Those two hunters turned vampires are not to be killed, understand?"

"So, we're using them?" I don't need to clarify who "them" refers to, it's pretty obvious.

"Essentially, yes. Like I said, it's strategy. We can't capture those vampires on our own, so I'm being resourceful and using Amara and her two disciples. That's not a problem, is it?" Jerimiah's voice tells me that if it is a problem, to make it not one.

However, it isn't. Perhaps it would have been before, but not now. Stop lying to yourself, Raph. Shut up, subconscious. I smile. "Not at all, Jerimiah." Even I could hear the chill in my voice.

"Good. Tomorrow, you'll meet up with them after school to discuss tactics and whatnot. Remember, I want them alive, Raphael. Those two children are not to be given the opportunity to kill their parents."

"Yes Sir, understood." Getting up, I nod at Jerimiah and shake his hand. I'm about to leave when I suddenly remember something. "Jerimiah?" I turn back around and he acknowledges me, telling me to continue. "Before I went on the hunt, you said you knew what the bond meant. You didn't tell me because you supposedly didn't want to worry me with it. But, I think now is a good time to tell me what you know."

"Ah yes, that." Jerimiah takes a sip of his drink before continuing. "I lied, I don't know what the bond means, I just needed to motivate you." His tone was dismissive, but I knew he was lying.

I glare at him. "Bullshit." As I leave his office, I can't help but wonder why I still care.

Because, ever since you met her you cared. Not just cared for her, but cared in general. You cared that she didn't like you, hell, you even cared that Adrian didn't like you. Changed man or not, you will always care for her, and that won't change. The second I had that thought, I cast it aside. I had a job to do, and I'll do it.

Regardless of the twins' opinions of me, my loyalty is to the Coven, to Jerimiah. I owe them nothing, they're capable of taking care of themselves and they could probably kill me if they really put their minds to it. Should I give them reason to, they'd stake me in the blink of an eye. They would never completely trust me, so why should I care about them? I don't.

Stop lying to yourself, Raph. Stupid subconscious, shut up.
---------------------------------------------------------
(Adrian's P.O.V.)

The day following our meeting, Amara dropped by the house before school. Cress answers the door, opening it wider to admit Amara.

"Amara," I say, making it just slightly obvious that she was one of the people I wasn't all too fond of at the moment. "To what do we owe this, ahem, pleasure?"

Amara rolls her eyes at my tone. "Look you two, right now I couldn't care less about how you view me. You're children, I don't expect you to understand that there's much more going on than you can see."

"Cut the bull and tell us why you came here, Amara." Cress crosses her arms and leans against a wall, clearly annoyed at having a perfectly good morning ruined.

The head of the League mumbles something unintelligible under her breath but talks nonetheless. "I'm here because you two need a way to block out that vampire friend of yours, and any vampire for that matter. If Raphael gets into your heads and finds out what we have planned-"