New Development

(Raphael's P.O.V.)

I enter my loft and sit down on the couch in the living room, thinking about why Jerimiah wasn't telling me the full story. Sighing, I pour myself a drink, staring at the blank tv in front of me.

Hm, perhaps I can torture Amara and find out if she knows anything... but unfortunately we've made a deal with those who strive to rid the world of us, Jerimiah would not be please to find out I tortured her.

Downing the rest of my drink, I set my glass down and start pacing. Pacing is a habit I developed whenever I was anxious, or deep in thought.

I need to find out what he's hiding, I run a hand through my hair, frustrated. But I can't do it alone... I'll need help.

Suddenly, a wide grin stretches across my face. I knew just who to ask for help.

This is going to be fun. Still smiling, I look over and see my school bag. Shit, I have homework. Gone is the smile, replaced with a grimace as I question why I even bother doing this stupid work. It's not like I haven't done all of this before.

Glaring at the textbook in front of me, I decide not doing my homework for one day won't do any harm. I'm just there for the fun of it anyway, I can leave anytime I wish.

Heading to my bedroom, I turn off all the lights, loving the cold darkness that surrounds me. Laying down on my bed, I think about the idea that I had thought of, grinning because I'm sure it will go well.
---------------------------------------------------------
The next day at the cursed school, I spot Cressida and Adrian getting out of their car. Approaching them, I notice something strange.

Their thoughts, I can't reach them. Not suspicious at all, perhaps Jerimiah would like to hear this new piece of information. But I didn't know how their thoughts were blocked as yet, and when I mentioned it to the twins, they knew that I didn't know.

Their fires entertained me, Cressida's especially. There's something about that girl... They knew I couldn't risk such an important deal over a suspicion, and they used that to their advantage.

Walking away from the twins, I think about how their minds could be shielded. They couldn't have possibly learned that skill in such a short time, shielding one's mind from vampires takes time, so that was out of the question. Amara had to have given them something, but what? A concaction of sorts? No, I doubt she'd risk that, the concoction could wear of, leaving their minds exposed to my own. Then that leaves a device of sorts.

Think Raphael. I know of a device the hunters would use, what was it?

Walking down the halls, I pass all kinds of people. The energetic people, hanging out with their friends, talking and laughing, and using energy that I could never have this early. There are the quiet ones, who sit by themselves, one their phones, doing work, or reading a book. I pass one student who holds a bag of chips-

It's a chip! That's what they're using as a shield, that's the only possible thing they can be using. That chip had been around for ages, they kept developing it, making it better.

Through the bond, I figure out Cressida's location. Heading to class, I think about how everything is falling into place. Now that I know they're using the chips, I can go to Jerimiah with more information than I had earlier.

Now, I can give her an ultimatum. She either works with me, or I tell Jerimiah about the chips. I smile, this will work out wonderfully.

Why are you being such a jerk, Raph? Maybe you wouldn't have to give her an ultimatum if you just stuck to being a nicer person.