The Three Musketeers

(Adrian's P.O.V.)

"You're seventeen now, correct? About to be eighteen?" Jerimiah continues to stare ahead, not bothering to look at me when he asked this question.

"Yeah, Cress and I will be eighteen in a few months," I reply.

Jerimiah nods slowly, "almost eighteen years you've been lied to by everyone you hold close, even your sister."

My head jerks up at this, "how-"

"You removed your chip, remember?" The vampire smiles, "go ahead and put it back on if you like, I know you don't like your thoughts vulnerable."

I was about to ask him how on earth he knew about the chip, but he must have read my mind, again, and just gave me a look that reminded me he's been alive much longer than I have. He didn't need to be told about these things, he figures them out.

Grumbling about vampires being nosy I reattach my chip so that Jerimiah can no longer snoop around in my thoughts, Cress and I had taken them off as a way to show Raphael we trust him, not that I actually trust him.

"Now then, shall I continue with my story? Or do you have any questions before we begin?" Jerimiah waits patiently as I search my brain for any possible questions.

Suddenly, one occurs to me. "Dad bit Cress, she should have been turned, why wasn't she?"

"Ah," Jerimiah chuckles, "I was wondering when you'd realize that."

"I thought he just wouldn't have enough time to get his venom in her system, but looking back at it, his venom should have entered her system the second he bit her."

"You're a very observant boy, Adrian. You see, your parents are special, as are you and your sister. However, while you come from the only two bloodlines that can become vampires, you're still hunters. Since you are also hunters, your genetics naturally try to fight the vampire DNA in some way. The best way your hunter DNA fights that of a vampire's is to kill the DNA strand that allows a vampire to produce the venom to turn others."

I process this for a moment, "so what you're saying is mom and dad are basically the vamp version of infertile?"

"Interesting way to put it," Jerimiah said, pondering my statement for a moment, "but yes, that's correct."

I nod, "Well that's a bit of a relief."

"Indeed it is," he nods in agreement, any further questions?" I shake my head, telling him he can continue.

"Very well, as I said, you and your sister were stillborn. Oddly enough, in the nine months your mother was pregnant with you two, Raphael had been acting off. We both later came to realize that his erratic behaviour was due to your sister's bond with him. However, Raphael felt the moment Cressida died, I know because I was with him. Raphael, without explaination, took off and I followed. We reached your parents, who were grief stricken by losing not only one, but both of their children."

"Oh god," I groan, I have a feeling I know where this going, and I don't like it.

Jerimiah looks at me solemnly, "your parents made a deal with me. They begged me to bring back you and Cressida, because they knew that I could. In turn, I would allow them sixteen years to spend with you two before I made them vampires. They agreed. So, Raphael entered Cressida's mind, and I entered yours."

"Wait, hold up." I interject, "does that mean you and I are... you know... bonded?"

"Not at all," he chuckles, "I am a very old, very powerful being. I need no bond in order to enter someone's mind; human, hunter, or vampire. So you see, your parents kept many things from you. Raphael has brought your sister back from the dead twice now, and you've also been grasped by the cold hands of Death."