Chapter 3 - Leaving Berk

Stoick's POV
I ran to the place where the Night Fury had crashed and I held my axe ready to kill it as soon I reached the clearing. But the dragon had disappeared. I saw the ropes of the bola lying on the grass and a knife lying next to them. But that wasn't just any knife. It was Hiccup's knife. Suddenly I heard a cry and saw a black dragon flying into the night with a boy in its paws.
'Hiccup!', I shouted.
'Daaaad!', I heard Hiccup screaming distantly. With that the Night Fury disappeared into the dark clouds with my only son. I had lost my wife being taken by a dragon and now I had lost my son the same way.

Hiccup's POV
I saw my dad enter the clearing with some other vikings. I cried out loud to get his attention. He looked up and shouted my name.
'Daaaad!', I screamed as Toothless rose above the clouds. I didn't know what to feel. I was angry and sad because I was taken away from my home, but I was also relieved that I had left it since it had never really been a home to me. I struggled a bit but I didn't really know why. Toothless growled and increased his speed.
'Where are you taking me?', I asked even though I new that he wouldn't respond. He growled something that sounded like 'You'll see soon enough'.
'Did you just say "You'll see soon enough"?!', I asked him in surprise.
'Good, it's starting to work', he said. I couldn't believe that I was talking to a dragon. Then I again I couldn't believe that I had just become friends with a dragon. (I'll write Dragonese in italics)
'What is starting to work?', I asked him curiously and I noticed that I hadn't said that in Norse.
'That gas', he said. 'But I'll explain everything later.'

We were flying for about two hours now when Toothless descended towards a beautiful island. He put me down on the sand gently and landed next to me.
'This will do', he said looking around.
'What do you mean?', I asked him and again I hadn't said that in Norse.
'This will be our new home', he said and I stared at him.
'Seriously?', I said. 'I barely even know you and we're gonna live together. Human and dragon. But then again I won't be laughed at by the other kids. Or by the other vikings. And my dad won't be disappointed ever again because he's not here. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all.'
'I knew you were as lonely as I am', Toothless said. 'I know how it feels like being laughed at by others. The other dragons always laughed at me because I was so small for a Night Fury. Both my parents are dead and the other Night Furies were eaten by the Queen. I always tried to bring a lot of food back but I was afraid that the vikings would kill me so everyone called me a coward and useless.' I didn't really understand everything he said about that Queen and bringing back food but didn't care because that was exactly what had happened to me. Well, not with dragons but you know what I mean. I came closer and sat down. I stroked his back and told him my story. About my mother being taken by a dragon and my father being embarrassed that I was so small and weak and useless. About Gobber and the forge and my inventions. And about the fact that I wanted to kill dragons until today. I told him that I was glad that this incident with him had happened, otherwise I would still think that dragons were horrible and vicious.

After we had talked about our lives for about half an hour I became tired and I fell asleep, Toothless wrapping his tail around me and falling asleep too.