Steps into The Hinterlands

"Seeker."

"Yes Varric?" She groaned, disgustedly.

"Aw why do you have to be so mean Seeker?"

I groaned listening to the two bicker as they had been doing for the past three days. My muscles were hell. After a life of good beds and pampered living, sleeping outside was not fun.

"Herald, do not let them get to you."

"I'm not, Wolfy." I rubbed my head, pausing midstep as I realized what slipped out.

"Um. What did you just call me?"

"Eep. Fuck. Nothing! Varric!" I ran up to where he and Cassandra were bickering, leaving a stunned Solas behind.

"Hmm? What's up? Wanna make camp?" He smiled at me, seeming to pick up the panic in my face. I nodded, eagerly.

"Alright Herald. We shall set camp now. If we leave at first light we should be at the Crossroads near midday tomorrow." Cassandra smiled.

"Thank you Cassandra." I smiled and took the chance to wander off on my own. I wandered around the area stumbling upon a small creek that was crystal clear. I gently splashed water on my face shivering at its cold touch.

"Herald. You might want to be more careful and not wander of on your own." Solas' silky voice sent another shiver racing down my spine.

"Fuck. Solas. Maker's ass. Don't do that." I jumped up and turned around glaring at him.

"I apologize, Herald."

"Solas! How many times must I tell you?! It's King!" I huff exasperated.

"Yes. Yes. Again I apologize. I have a question though King, if you would."

"Alright shoot!" I smiled and fixed my hair quickly with a damp hand.

"Why did you call me Wolfy?"

I groaned and frowned darkly at him, "Solas I..." I grinned and laughed. "It's because you are the opposite." I saw relief wash over his face. I saw no reason to ruin our possible friendship over his stupidity just yet, not that I wouldn't kick his ass later.

"Thank you for explaining that Herald. I was confused." Solas smiled.

"Solas!!" I groaned and put a hand to my head as he left.

I pulled my boots, and clothes off. I looked down at my form. I sighed cursing softly, wrapping my arms over my chest uncomfortably. I waded out into the water. The rush of cold liquid nipping at my body, leaving goosebumps over my scarred skin. 

"Herald?" I looked up and was greeted with Cassandra with her eyes covered.

"Oh hi Cas. What's up?" I looked at her and went into deeper water.

"Varric requested you return to camp and I agree. We can't have our Herald out in unknown territory alone."

"Well it's definitely not unknown to me." I grumbled.

"What?! You've been here before?!" Her hands flew off her eyes.

"Um yea.." I groaned. 'You really need to watch your words.' A voice inside of me said.

"Okay. Um still we should be going to sleep soon so it's best if you return to camp."

"Alright. I'll be there soon." I smiled and shooed her away.

'Are you sure you want to go?' The voice asked.

"Of course I do, and wether or not I want to I have too."

'I guess we do.'

"We?! Oh great. I've gone insane. Now I'm talking to myself."

'I am inside King. A bear who was infused with King, who was then infused with you. But then he was always you which is why I'm here and he isn't. He is you and you are him. You don't have all of his history, Felix.'

"Fuck," the word was drawn out.

'You should go back to camp.' he realized the gravely growl to the voice now.

"Alright alright. I'm crazy. It's fine."

-Five years earlier.-

"King, it's a good idea." The keeper's voice was urgent. A bear had been terrorizing the camp for over a month. It had killed six of the hunters who went after it. The other four were still badly injured.

"It's madness. Complete and utter madness. Stick this bear's soul inside mine. It could kill me. Not to mention that has to take some serious dark magic."

"It's needed. You are the only soul who would be able to over power or be at balance with the bear."

-Present time.-

"Ah Herald! Glad you could join us for dinner. Solas here has cooked up a wonderful ram stew! Chuckles has some talent!" Varric voice greeted me cheerfully.

"It does smell good. Thanks egghead." I smiled at him happily.

"Egghead?" Varric laughed over Solas grumbling.

"Yeah. He's like a little egg."

"Herald you are sure something special." Cassandra looked at me strangely.

"You mean besides the whole blessed by the Maker's bride and the whole seeing the future thing Cassie?" I grinned and tilted my head.

"Haha yes, besides that." Cassandra smiled and went back to eating her bowl of stew.

Varric handed me a bowl with a large crooked grin. "Here ya go."

"Thanks Varric." I spooned some of the yummy looking stew into a spoon and blew on it.

"Herald we set out at dawn tomorrow. I suggest after eating you retire." Solas offered, a small smile on his thin lips.

"Hm. I guess I will." I yawned widely. "I guess I am tired." I laughed.

-The Next Morning-

We had quickly dealt with the group of Templars and Mages that were fighting at the crossroads. King's bear had helped me greatly. I only had half the talent that King had with his daggers.

I approached Mother Giselle quickly. I watched as the terrified man tried to squirm away from a mage who was offering to heal him.

"Jeez. He's trying to help you stupid. Let him." I snapped before I could stop myself. All eyes were on me. Cassandra was groaning at my stupidity, while Varric snickered and Solas stared dumbstruck.

"Herald. Hello." The Mother smiled in greeting.

"King is fine Mother." I smiled softly. "It's nice to finally meet you."

'In flesh,' The bear offered the words I was thinking.

"As well I you." She smiled.

"So why did you want to meet with me?"

'You know this. Why waste time?' The bear questioned.

She told me that I should go to Val Royeaux. That I could convince the chantry to accept us. I snorted, earning a look of suspicion from her. I apologized profusely and bit my lip guiltily.

I quickly walked across the area towards Corporal Vale who then told me of the hunter and another soldier who were trying to help the refugees.