Epilogue

Epilogue:

          *Well you only need the light when it’s burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow, only know you love her when you let her go. Only know you’ve been high when you’re feeling low, only hate the road when you’re missing home, only know you love her when you let her go…and you let her go.*

            September came and went, followed by seven more blessed months with the only man I’ll ever want. It’s May now, with temperature highs of only about sixty or so degrees (Fahrenheit), which still make an American girl, like me, shiver.

            In late November, Harry and I moved in together…for the second time. It could’ve been foreseen by anyone. I was spending more time at his flat than my own, and probably kept half my wardrobe there, as well. I don’t know if we’ll have much more of a future than that, as Harry’s never really been to keen on the whole idea of marriage. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I mean, I’ve grown up dreaming, as every little girl does, of that perfect white wedding, but for now, this is enough. Being able to wake up next to Harry each morning might very well be enough to keep me satisfied for a lifetime.

            November was also when Corey and Darcy returned home. They had been given the ok to come home, by Harry, almost immediately after Zayn had dropped the charges, and promised me he’d steer clear, but Corey had other ideas. For an extra week, they stayed away from home, spending some bonding time together on the road. Don’t ask me where Corey got the money for all of those hotels; I don’t really want or need to know.

            Harry was glad when they got home. The day Corey texted him, telling him they were unpacked and settled back in at home, he rushed the both of us over to the trailer, going quite a few quite a bit over the speed limit. I’m warming up to the idea of Harry being a father, I guess. I hold Darcy a lot more, and I even offered to baby-sit when Corey needed someone, and Harry was busy. She’s gotten a job, now, working as a receptionist.

            I’m not dumb. I see the way she looks at Harry, obviously lusting after him with a burning passion. I won’t pretend it doesn’t bother me, because it does. I mean, Corey is a breathtakingly beautiful woman, as well as the mother of Harry’s baby girl. How could I not feel just a tiny bit jealous? But Harry has made it blatantly obvious that he will only ever want one person in his life, and I am happy as hell that it’s me.

            I feel lucky every day for Harry.           

            In January, to kick off the brand new year, I decided to take baby-steps towards getting back in touch with my family. I called Chloe up New Year’s Day, with actual sweat dripping down my forehead, and stinging my eyes. Harry sat next to me, silently, squeezing my hand to give me reassurance. It only somewhat helped to settle my stomach.

            Chloe had picked up on one of the last rings, answering in her high, soprano voice, “Hello? Who is this?”

            I’d answered simply, “Kelsie.” 

            “Oh my God, Kelsie? Um, hi!” She’d sounded surprised, which I guess was to be expected. I had spoken to my mother a few dreadful times since I’d run away to the U.K., but never any of my three siblings. It was hard, since I’d actually been pretty close to my young, half-sister.

            “Yeah, it’s really me. I’m sorry I haven’t tried to contact you, Chlo, in a long while, but I want to talk now. Actually, I think we should meet up. How about that park I used to take you to when you were ten and I was fourteen?”