Chapter 14

Daniel:

My head automatically snapped up at the laughter resounding in the corner. Normally I would not have bothered, but this one was particular. It was hers. I could have recognized it anywhere. Soft and melodious, like wind chimes.

I stood and walked casually to the living room and leaned in the doorway.

Wynn had one hand on the shoulder of Nate, the other in his hand. She was all smiles."Okay, let's try again."

What the hell?!  

"Are you sure?" Nate asked, smiling. 

Wynn nodded vigorously, her lips tight like she was trying to avoid from laughing out loud.

"Okay..."

Nate gently placed his other hand on her waist. I frowned, my jaw clenching.

Immediately Wynn burst out laughing, slipping away from his grasp as if she had been tickled.

"You're kidding me!" Nate exclaimed, chuckling.

"I'm so sorry!" Wynn said, her face crimson from laughing so hard. "I can't help it. I'm really ticklish."

"How are you going to do that scene then?" Nate asked, shaking his head, smiling.

"I don't know." Wynn said, her smile dying, suddenly worried.

I smiled. She was rehearsing the dance in the play. Mr Adams had chosen a simple play this time, to raise money for the new local orphanage wing. It was a re-adaptation of the book Jane Eyre.  The fact that I was starring in the play was bringing quite a crowd as well. Mr Adams had even re-written some parts it seemed, to show his ingeniousness.  Normally Principal Hendricks would not allow it, but a word from the Mayor about the money involved and possibly some new equipment for the school and he was all too happy to allow fifty outsiders within school grounds.

All Mr Adams had told them was that there was a dance scene and if they needed to, they should start practicing.

"Okay, let me try." Melanie said, stepping forward. Wynn turned to her, looking a little apprehensive.

Melanie took her hand. Wynn placed hers on Melanie's shoulder and when in turn Melanie put her hand on Wynn's waist...Wynn looked up, fighting a smile.

"It's okay, stay cal-" Melanie coaxed.

But Wynn burst out laughing, automatically twisting away from her. "I'm so sorry!" She managed to squeeze in between laughs.

"Unbelievable!" Melanie exclaimed, giving up.

Interesting I cocked my head to the side, smiling as left the room.

************

Wynn:

"Maybe I should just ask Professor Adams to cut it out of the play." I mused, walking in the school hallway.

"I don't think he'd go for it." Denzil replied, munching on some chips. "He will most probably cut you out of the play."

I scowled, playfully shoving him.

He chuckled. "You know Adams is pretty self opinionated. He won't go for it."

"I can't believe it." Tori said, shaking her head smiling, "Never seen anything quite like it."

I signed. That's me the oddball. What kind of crisis was this? It did not get any more ridiculous than this.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my lower back and I jumped a foot in the air, nearly banging my head on the wall, but instead awkwardly hugging it.