Chapter 10

Dedicated to Dandino, for designing this fabulous cover! Thanks!

Hope you'll enjoy this chap. Any suggestions are most welcome, so comment...

____________________

Wynn

My cheeks were probably flushing red, but I was proud or even amazed that the tears did not flow. Perhaps it was because I was not allowing my brain to process anything more than this humiliation. Just the dull floor of Mr Adam's office.

''I- I understand. Of course, you're right. I can see it now.'' I replied, my eyes still downcast.

Mr Adams just sighed.''You see...You just...no...'' He said, as he shook his head, appraising me. Each word cut like daggers and the lump in my throat would probably handicap me for the rest of my life.

I finally looked up at him, when I was sure my wall were still holding, I just took permission to leave. I had auditioned for the lead female character after talking to Mrs Storm about it. But I could not get angry with her, although she had pushed me into it. It was after all, me, who had been stupid enough to think that I could win this role.

*****

I was not sure why I even bothered to come to work, especially when I knew that I would have to face Melanie Storm about the auditions.

''I didn't get it.'' I said right away, when I stepped in. She was waiting with an expectant smile and was instantly sympathetic. She took a few steps toward me and hugged me. Iheld onto her for a while but then I broke out gently from her grasp. It will just make me cry and I needed to teach Stevie. 

She seemed to understand and let me be. This was what I adored about Dan's mother. The fact that she was such a- such a - mom...Something I had lost.

After the day I had had, I was in no mood to see Dan. I just ignored him when Stevie and I went in the study.

The Storms' study was a nice cozy little place, with books neatly arranged on rows of shelves. There were four study tables, arranged quite close to each other. Stevie and I sat on one and Dan, out of pure coincidence was sitting on the one farthest to ours. Still, that did not stop him from being a pain to  my existence.

''Honey, do you have a blue pen?'' I asked Stevie at one point. My pen was already dry. I could feel Dan's eyes on me.

''Let me get you one.'' Stevie replied and ran out of the room.

I threw the old pen in the bin.

''You're pen is already dry? You're working too hard. Give it a rest.'' Dan joked. Lamely, I might add.

I just chuckled- while not even looking at him- just to be polite but it sounded too fake. I did not bother to add anything.

Stevie came in just then and handed me a pen. 

''Thanks!'' I said, beaming at Stevie. I could still feel Dan's eyes on me, noting the dramatic change in my behaviour when I talked to Stevie instead of him.

''Can I go play now? I have finished all of my homework.'' Stevie asked. I was close to asking him to stay, just so I will not be alone with Dan when I completed my assignments. But I decided to just let him go. After all, I was doing a good job of ignoring Dan so far.

''Okay.''

''Great! Oh, by the way, the blue pen does not write really well, but it's all I could find-''

''Really?'' I asked, testing it on a piece of paper. It was a bit of a lighter shade. I will have to write one thing twice,''That's alright.''

Stevie ran out and shortly I heard Frisky bark.