Dresses & Polaroids

The next day came quickly and was quickly passing by. I just had a few short hours before Peter and I went to the school dance.

I was currently with Magda shopping for a dress while Peter stayed home with Lorna.

"So what color do you want the dress?" Magda asked, looking through a rack of dresses.

I shrugged. "I honestly don't care."

Magda nodded, pushing more dresses out of the way. "I found one!" I turned to look at her as she pulled out a short blue dress. It was sleeveless with sparkles covering the top half. It wasn't really my style but it was better than anything else in this shop.

Magda pushed me towards the changing rooms and I stripped out of my clothes and into the small dress. Looking in the mirror, I cringed at myself. The dress was gorgeous, just not on me.

Taking a deep breath, I walked out of the small dressing room and stopped in front of Magda.

"Oh Skylar!" She stood up from her seat, walking towards me and staring at the dress. I bit my lip as she walked around me. "You look beautiful."

"Really?" I asked, tucking some hair behind my ear.

"Yes! Of course!" Magda took a step back, looking me over again. "It's perfect."

I looked down at the dress. I guess this was as good as it was gonna get.

I went back into the small room and took off the dress and put my clothes back on. Magda and I payed for the dress and drove back home.

On the way home, my head was hurting again. I gripped my forehead and sucked in a breath.

'We'll find you, Skylar.' A voice whispered. Then the pain instantly went away. I looked around quickly, then back out the window. What was going on with me?

--

Once we were home, I went to my room and put the dress on the bed. I moved to my backpack that I still have yet to unpack.

Digging through it, all I could find was an old pair of sneakers that I wore in gym class. Next, I looked through the emergency bag.

To my surprise, a pair of beautiful blue shoes sat at the bottom of the bag along with several other pairs of shoes.

I had no idea how they got in there, but I remembered them as my moms shoes.

My heart shattered as I thought of her. I missed her so much. This was also my first dance and she was missing every second of it. Knowing her she would make really stupid jokes to lighten the mood whenever I got frustrated or nervous. She always wanted to make people smile.

I shook away thoughts of my mom and pulled on the dress, followed by the shoes. I looked in the mirror on the wall, attempting to fix the mess that was my hair.

With not a lot of luck, I pinned as many wild spots back as I could and brushed out the rest. When I thought I was good enough, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." I called as I put my brush back in my backpack.

"I thought you might need some help." Magda and Lorna walked in. I smiled as Magda moved me to sit on the bed while Wanda handed her a large brush.

Magda handed Lorna the pins from my hair and began to brush my long, black hair. "You know you're the first girl that Peter's ever shown interest in?"

I looked up slightly at Magda as she spoke. "Not even in elementary school would he even hang out around girls." She continued. "But as soon as you showed up at our house with those three other men, he wouldn't shut up about you."

I looked down and blushed. "Pin." Magda held her hand towards Lorna.

"Pin." Lorna placed the pin in Magda's hand.

"I want to thank you, Sky. For being there for Peter." Magda pulled on my hair. "He's always been left out and he needed someone like you to show him he's not alone."

"I needed someone like him too." I answered with a smile.

"There." Magda placed her hands on my shoulders. "Perfect." I smiled up at my reflection in the mirror. It was still slightly a mess, but that's what I get for having thick hair. Magda had managed to make this mess look good for once.

"Thank you so much." I stood up and hugged Magda. "And thank you." I turned to Lorna, lifting her into my arms.

I placed her on my hip and kissed her forehead. She giggled and put her head in the crook of my neck.

"Come on, Sky's got a dance to get to." Magda took Lorna from me and walked out of the room.

Taking one last look in the mirror, I sighed with a smile and walked out the door. When I reached the bottom of the  stairs, Peter turned around with a smile.

"You look amazing." He walked towards me and kissed my forehead.

"So do you." I smiled up at him.

"Pictures!" Magda called and pulled out her camera.

----------

Guys we reached 4k! Yay!

So I've always wanted an old Polaroid camera. Like every type of Polaroid. They're just really cool to me.

Pls go check out my other stories, I'm working on updating those too. I'm also working on some new stories that I think you might like.

Q: When do you start school?

Farewell for now.
                                   ~Miriah