17

TenTen fidgeted with her new sword nervously. If Naruto's hammer evolved while he slept, then she could probably expect the same thing. Despite the seriousness of the situation, she wondered if she would get a pair of wings...that would punctuate the fact that they were meant to be.

"Ten-chan, pay attention."

She snapped back to attention and laid the sword across her knees. It felt strange knowing that the sword that had nearly killed her once upon a time was now hers. Definitely a strange sensation...

Itachi looked from one face to the other. He knew Naruto on an unfriendly basis. He'd tried to capture the boy enough that they were more than mere acquaintances. They were mortal enemies and a more common enemy had drawn them together.

Jiraiya...he was wary of Jiraiya. The Toad Sannin was cagey and wiley, a harsh opponent. Orochimaru might have dismissed the man as a fool when he was in the Akatsuki, but Itachi knew better. It was better to have the world think you a fool than to realize your full talents. Itachi knew of the man's skill. He was one of the most powerful ninjas in the world and yet, the man had a gentle heart. That didn't mean he wouldn't kill a threat.

The Weapons Mistress he knew of in passing. His former partner had battled her once and had said that she was weak, but that was not a fair assessment when you're a thickheaded fool like Kisame was. He couldn't see the forest for the trees. And more often than not underestimated his opponents to the point that one who wasn't even a serious threat could get under his skin and do him bodily harm. He had been all brawn, no brains. That's why he was paired with Itachi.

But TenTen was known throughout the countries as having legendary marksmanship. The only thing that could thwart her was wind jutsu that blew her weapons off trajectory. Other than that, the girl was a force to be reckoned with as long as she was standing and had something sharp and pointy in her hands. And now she had Kisame's sword.

The fourth member was a mystery to him. The brown haired man didn't stand out in any spectacular way and that's what made him stand out. He was nondescript, ordinary, and that worried Itachi. The man was an unknown variable. Itachi hated unknown variables. They always made his life harder.

"I know of three of you, but the fourth is not known to me. Tell me what your name and purpose is here."

Sanosuke quirked his eyebrow and crossed his arm.

"And why should I tell you anything? I believe you're the one wanting favors here. Information will be given as equivalent exchange."

"I don't know who you are stranger. I'd just like to know whom I'm dealing with."

"My name is Sanosuke. That's all you need to know."

Itachi's lips curved downward slightly into a frown, but otherwise there was no noticeable hint of agitation. He'd simply have to trick information out of the man a little at a time. But for now, he had to outline what he wanted done.

"We've eliminated two members of Akatsuki at the moment, three if you include myself. Having Zetsu dead is a huge boon. The man was our information gatherer and without him lurking around, our movements and plans should be unseen. I will tell Pein and Madara that Kisame died fighting Jiraiya as I handled Naruto-kun and Zetsu was taken by surprise by this Sanosuke. He's an unknown variable so it shouldn't sound too farfetched."

Naruto nodded his head and suddenly a thought came to him.

"Where are their rings?"

Itachi's eyes widened slightly. The boy was becoming smarter every time he met him.

"I have them on my person. Why?"

The blonde held out his hand, palm up.

"Give me Zetsu's."