20

Itachi moved silently through the corridors of the Akatsuki hideout, pondering on all that he had learned in his little midnight vigil. There was much he hadn't known before that little trip and now he was armed with a little more knowledge that would be beneficial to he and his little partner's plans.

He opted not to acknowledge Pein as the man stood, leaned against the wall, staring at Itachi as he walked past.

"Was there any reason for you to be in my private quarters Itachi?"

Itachi stopped as he made it just past the man and turned to face him slowly.

"There were certain things that I needed to know Pein-sama."

Pein narrowed his Rinnegan eyes at Itachi and five more of the man walked out of adjacent doors. Itachi tensed, knowing that Pein was free to administer his judgment as he saw fit when Madara was not around.

"I trust that there was nothing there you didn't already know?"

Itachi closed his eyes and when he opened them, his Mangekyou spun wildly. His face never lost its impassiveness as he and Pein continued their staredown, the other bodies remaining motionless as well.

"Actually, I found out exactly what I wanted to know. It doesn't concern you at the moment however. If you'd be so kind as to step aside, I'll be on my way."

The Uchiha made to step around the fat Pein but found his way blocked and the rest of the Peins began to make their way inward.

"I warn you Pein-sama, I do not take this little inquiry lightly. Even with six of you, allowing you to see virtually everywhere, you are not invincible. You have limitations. Do not force me to fight you."

Pein snorted and all six stepped back.

"Madara-sama holds you in high regard as his apprentice Itachi. I know you are up to no-good however and when I have the evidence to prove your disloyalty, I shall dispose of you myself. It's too bad that Zetsu isn't around to...remove our malcontents anymore. I'm sure the flesh of an Uchiha is quite tasty."

"He'll never find out though, unless he meets some of my relatives in Hell. Quite probable actually, since most of them were quite...unsavory."

Itachi continued past as if nothing had happened and Pein glared after him. The other five Peins walked back into the rooms they had occupied and shut the doors. The Rinnegan user's eyes cut to a portion of the wall that seemed to flutter and it quickly fell away into scraps of paper, forming Konan, who bowed her head to him and folded her hands in front of her.

"I assume you suspect Itachi of treachery Pein-sama?"

The spiky headed man nodded and Konan followed him back to his quarters, always staying behind him and slightly to his right.

"Would you like me to follow him and see what he is up to?"

"No. Itachi, though he may be a traitor, is too smart to allow himself to be seen doing anything incriminating. I'll simply have one of the other members accompany him for the time being. The loss of Sasori, Kisame, and Zetsu is a hard blow, Zetsu especially. Our intelligence has suffered without him and Sasori around. Kakuzu has his spies, but they are nowhere near the level of Sasori or Zetsu."

Konan nodded and took his cloak from his shoulders.

"Who will you send with him on his next missions? Kakuzu and Hidan only work well together and Madara-sama enjoys torturing Deidara. He doesn't believe Itachi capable of duplicity. We are quickly running out of reliable men."

Pein growled and shrugged away from her.

"It doesn't matter. Soon, we'll have the Kyuubi jinchuuriki in our grasp. Madara-sama himself went on this mission. It cannot fail."