2

Naruto strode through town, wondering who his soul mate could be. He knew her obviously, but who could it be? He knew a lot of people and a lot of them were good with kenjutsu. Deciding to worry about it later, he made his way to the training grounds and began to swing the hammer around wildly, not knowing anything about grace. It just wasn't his style and he still lamented the fact that he was given a hammer instead of a sword. A sword was sharp and pointy, able to do massive damage. What could this thing possibly do that a sword couldn't? It was so...plain...and dull. Naruto sat down in the middle of the field cross-legged with his elbow on one knee and his chin in his hand, the other hand holding onto the massive hammer. He looked out of the corner of his eyes at it and took it in one more time. The handle was a good four feet long and seemed to flow into the head. The head of the hammer was massive, roughly two feet by two feet square and about three feet long. It was no wonder he kept getting odd looks in town.

He closed his eyes and thought about his situation now. He already had so much on his plate what with saving Sasuke and now he was expected to locate a renegade soul. He let go of the hammer and held his head in his hands. He was sixteen years old. He held a demon that could destroy civilizations in his navel. He had just been informed by Kami herself that Sakura was not meant for him. It hurt, but he'd have to get over her and move on. He still had to save Sasuke for her, he'd made a promise and he never went back on those. He had to find his soul mate and learn the art of the sword so that he would be able to wield his hammer properly. Why did it always feel like the weight of the world was on his shoulders? Sighing heavily, he opened his eyes to find the world pitch black, it was night. He had been thinking so hard he hadn't noticed that night had fell. It was time to go home. Perhaps tonight his hammer would change. He swung the hammer to his shoulder and walked off toward his apartment.

Naruto set the weapon down outside of his building with a loud thud and walked up the stairs. As he opened the door he felt a presence and whipped two kunai at the shadowy figure. He heard the audible thump of the knives hitting home, flicked on the light, and found Sanosuke there with the kunai in his chest and a scowl on his face. Naruto grinned sheepishly as the angel removed the knives and bemoaned the ruination of his shirt.

"I just had this thing cleaned Naruto. Can you be anymore problematic?"

"Well I'm sorry, but you surprised me. I couldn't help it. What are you here for anyway?"

"I want to know why your hammer hasn't changed yet. It should have made its first change and...where is your hammer?"

"Oh I left it downstairs. I don't want it falling through the floor..."

"YOU IDIOT! That's why it isn't changing. You have to sleep with it in your hand. What in the hell made you think it could change if it wasn't by you? You may be connected at the soul with it but you still have to have contact with it to make the change. And you wonder why everyone calls you an idiot."

"I'm not stupid! I just..."

"You don't think before you do things. Sigh...Naruto, just get the hammer and sleep at the training grounds tonight. Sleep with the hammer in your hand and don't let go. If you prove yourself worthy by changing the hammer, I'll give you the other gift a little early."

"Is it another cool weapon?"

"No it isn't cool but it is a weapon, perhaps more important than the hammer. I won't tell you what it is though until you change the hammer. Now get going. Oh Kami, why do you make me deal with these idiots?"

The angel disappeared into thin air and Naruto grumbled while retrieving his hammer. He had just come from the training grounds and he didn't really want to sleep outside tonight. A shower and his bed sounded so much better, but he had to change the hammer. He trudged back to the training grounds and stopped at the first one he came to. He didn't care whose it was, they could wake him in the morning if he was in the way. He flopped down on the ground and stared at the stars. He held the hammer at his side and hummed while he twirled it in his hand. After a short time he began to yawn and eventually nodded off, his hand wrapped tightly around the hilt. It wasn't long before a weird dream started.