Chapter 17

(Ally’s pov)

‘Lauren’s friends?’ the doctor asked us when he walked out of Lauren’s room ‘yes’ we all three said in unison. ‘We emptied her stomach, to get all the pills out, she seems fine but we’ll keep her here for a day or two to check up on her’ He started ‘and we suggest her to visit a psychologist since I assume it was a suicide attempt?’ he asked, I sadly nodded my head. Lauren’s mom was inside the room so we waited patiently for her mom to come out so they would have some time to discuss what happened.

We went to the hospital café to get something to eat, when we walked back to Lauren’s room we saw her mom leave the hospital which meant we could go inside. ‘Hey Lo’ we said with a kind smile while entering. ‘hey guys’ she said in a raspy voice, ‘could you please bring me to Camila?’ she said pointing to the wheelchair next to her bed. We exchanged some questioning glances but decided that it was the least we could do, we helped her out of the bed and put her in the wheelchair, since Dinah and I were still eating Normani pushed the wheelchair and Lauren gave us the directions to Camila’s room.

We’ve been here for an hour now, Lauren told Camila again what everything happened, so told her every detail and it brought tears to my eyes, she told her about her suicide attempt and how I saved her. We were watching Oprah on the small television in Camila’s hospital room when Lauren at once gasped ‘Lo wha..’ I started but she cut me off ‘SHE SQUEEZED MY HAND!’ She practically screamed, ‘Lo she’s in a coma come on’ Dinah said, looking at her strangely ‘I’m not stupid Dinah, she squeezed it!’ she protested ‘it was not much, but it was a little squeeze!’ she said her eyes full of hope ‘Camzi do it again, please’ she said but looked sad when she got no respond. She went on like that for another hour, asking and begging Camila to do something. When we were about to leave Lauren at once stood up from her wheelchair, ‘Lauren I don’t think that’s a good idea’ Normani said ‘Yeah you got that thing for a reason you know’ Dinah told her, I shushed them when I saw what she was doing, she bend forward her hands leaning on the bed for support, and pressed her lips gently against Camila. She kept her lips pressed against Camila’s for a good ten seconds when at once her eyes shot open, she pulled her lips away for a millisecond but quickly closed the gap again, ‘she kissed back’ she said almost in audible. Normani was about to say something again when at once Camila’s eye lids started to move a little, she opened them for a millisecond but closed them again, and so it went on the entire time ‘SHE’S WAKING UP’ Lauren screamed, ‘Lauren sit down!’ Dinah said in a stern voice when she almost fell. Normani ran out to get a doctor.

It was two hours later when the doctor called us inside again, her mom, dad and Lauren had been in the room to watch her wake up but we had to leave because it was too crowded. When we walked back inside Sinuhe and Alejandro were crying from happiness and Camila was laying in the bed her eyes fully opened and the intubation was gone. We slowly walked towards the bed ‘Hi Mila’ we said in unison unsure if she would remember us, but she didn’t answer, we were about to panic when her mom spoke up ‘she can’t speak girls, her speech is very bad she will need speech therapy.’ She said with a sad expression on her face ‘but she remember us!’ Lauren said ‘she hugged me’ she said with a huge smile. ‘she will also need walking therapy because of the brain damage’ her mom finished. A small smile crept on Camila’s lips when we looked at her again, she looked exhausted even though she had been in a coma for 6 months.

(Lauren’s pov)

The other girls left and I was left alone in the room with Camila and some doctors, her eyes kept opening and closing but every time they stayed open for a bit longer. Sometime later her mom and dad arrived and were crying and watching their daughter with hopeful looks. When she fully woke up, I slowly rolled the wheelchair towards Camila and looked at her ‘Hi’ I almost whispered, she bend forward a little trying to hug me, I stood up from the wheelchair trying not to fall and gave he a hug She remembers  I thought and a huge smile crept on my face. Luckily she didn’t –well couldn’t- ask why I was in a wheelchair and her parents didn’t ask anything either. It would suck if I had to tell them now in front of Camila.

After three days I was released from the hospital, and one week later Camila was ready to go home too, I was waiting in the small chair next to their front door when I saw Sinuhe’s car coming to a stop in front of the house, Alejandro got out and got the wheelchair from the trunk and placed it next to the car and lifted Camila out of the car and placed her in the chair, Camila rolled the wheelchair towards the front door, she seemed to struggle a bit with her coordination but it went pretty well ‘Lo’ she said in a low raspy voice with a huge smile on her face, I wrapped my arms around her. She released her grip on me and looked at me questioningly and pointed to my legs ‘wha..’ she tried to say ‘I will tell you what happened any time soon, don’t worry’ I said and shot her a small smile. She will hate me..