I'm falling in love... and it's ARRANGED!? (*4*)

chapter 4

I'm Falling In Love ... And It's ARRANGED!?

******************************************************************************

(Casey's P.O.V)

Time seemed to have frozen, I couldn't form a single word. I just sat there, stunned, looking at her expression change from open friendliness, to confusion and then concern.

Her hand moved over mine, and she gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Hey, Casey. You alright?" her voice was filled with concern, and she looked at me patiently, waiting for an answer.

I just couldn't believe it. She was Emelyne Sherwood! The girl I was arranged to marry! What was wrong with me! What was wrong with everyone! Nothing seemed to make sense anymore.

My mother had actually arranged me to marry a 14 year old girl who was apparently on bad terms with her mother, and liked to sleep around with guys and not come home.

Looking at her now, I couldn't believe a word I'd heard about her. She just looked so damn innocent.

As I watched, she took a deep breath and leaned back, her expression hurt. I realized she'd been trying to be friendly, and I'd just been a complete jackass.

"So, Emelyne, is it? Nice name." I commented, running a hand through my hair. She noticed the nervous gesture, making her even more uncomfortable.

"I just need some sleep. I'm tired." I explained, smiling a little.

That relaxed her somewhat, and she smiled back.

"I absolutely agree. You've been at the hospital for so long, you should get some sleep." she said.

My thoughts went back to the accident. What had god been thinking, shoving my fiance in front of my car! Then having her fight for her life in a hospital where no one seemed to have any idea who she was.

I tried to forget what had already happened, and focused on what to do. Emelyne must have had something to hide, why else wouldn't she have mentioned family even once since the accident. I decided this was the best time to get to the point.

"Listen, Emelyne. You've never mentioned your family, wouldn't they be worried?" I asked, with just a little concern.

She closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them to look at me with watery gray eyes. I could see the hurt and torment in them, either she was a great actress, or there was something going on.

"I only have my mother. She's kind of old. She drinks all the time, and is never in a good mood. I've never made her really happy, though I try. Since I can remember, I've been taking care of myself. I work three part-time jobs, to pay off some bills and the groceries. School is important to me, even though I hate going. I hate not being noticed, or talked to. I'm like a nobody at school, but I go, because that's the one place where I feel the safest. As for your question. No, Casey, I have no one. No one who cares, anyway." A single tear slid down her cheek, making her look years younger.

Her heartfelt speech did something to my heart, but I ignored it. This was Emelyne Sherwood. I couldn't just listen to her side, and believe every word she said.

"Well, I'm really sorry about that." I smiled at her and decided to change the topic.

"Why don't you tell me a little about yourself, stranger?" I suggested, lightening the mood. She seemed happier to do that.

"I go to Jefferson high, doing my third year. I love dogs, and have a phobia of snakes. I can be very stubborn, but only when I want to. Otherwise, I'm a quiet, and shy person. Not very out-going." She dried her eyes, and sat up.

"Now, it's your turn" She looked at me eagerly.

One thing stood out to me, and it bothered me. She'd mentioned doing her third year of high school, was she older than I'd thought.

"How old are you?" I asked.

"16. I'm turning 17 next month." She replied.

I felt relief was over me. At least I wouldn't be forced to marry a 14 year old as I'd thought. She sure looked young, but I was glad she wasn't. That would be extremely uncomfortable, much less quite illegal.

"Sooo? Tell me bout' yourself!" She looked at me expectantly again, eager to learn about me. The thought gave me satisfaction, and even some happiness.

"Well, I don't go to high school anymore. I graduated last year. I just turned 19, and I hate all animals. I've been told to be arrogant, egotistic, stubborn, ill mannered, and overconfident. But I think those are all handsome traits, don't you?" I asked seriously, trying very hard to hide the grin that threatened.

Her expression didn't help, she seemed shocked by my description. Apparently, she'd been expecting better.

She didn't reply, and when I started to laugh, she smacked my arm. That only made me laugh louder, and soon we were both laughing.

Seeing her laugh, I found it hard to look away. Her usually pale skin had filled with colour, and her gray eyes were sparkling and wide. Her beautiful mouth formed the loveliest of smiles, and I sat utterly amazed by it all.

We spent the rest of the day talking, until the doctor came in with some paperwork. After signing the documents, she was officially released. I asked for her address, even though I already knew it. She was going to find out soon enough, why not let the hurt and pain wait.

No girl was going to eagerly marry a stranger, and I knew she wouldn't either. I just hoped her drunk mother would keep her mouth shut. At least until I was ready to tell her everything, then we'd just have to see how it goes.

When we reached her house, she hesitated. Smiling, she lay a hand on my shoulder.

"I can't thank you enough, Casey. I would have been dead if it weren't for you." She said sincerely.

I shook my head and smiled back.

"No need to thank me. Let's get all your things together." I spoke quickly, already lifting her bags out of the car. I didn't want her to know I'd been the one responsible for the accident. It would lead to me eventually telling her I was her fiance. And that was a conversation I wasn't looking forward to.

When she invited me to come in, I refused. She needed rest, and seeing me, her mother would recognize me. I just hoped her mother wasn't home.

I drove away feeling different, almost at a loss. Everything was going the wrong way, my plans had backfired. I had barely a week and a half left to persuade her, and that was one challenge!

And there was one other problem.

She was in love with someone else.

............................................................................................................................

So???? What do you think will happen?

Vote/comment :) !