Log book entry 2

Log book – second entry

I leave the house – yes through my patio door. Before, I decided to pack my supplies. A Torchlight. Two packets of Oreos and a bottle of Fanta (even though I should be eating healthy stuff). And finally, my navy hoodie, in case it gets cold. I slung the backpack over my shoulder and headed out the doors.

It’s seven but it’s still bright out. It’s also quite warm but there’s an eerie breeze which sends shivers down my spine. I can’t wait to explore. I wonder what I’ll find. Maybe I have neighbours. I hope I do, because I really hate the idea of being alone out here. The nearest city is at least ten miles away, and I don’t like being so far from civilisation. What if something happens? I shudder at the thought as I treck through the forest. It’s all pretty much the same really. Tall trees with ivy growing up a few. A few random rocks the size of boulders. Your average forest, really. It’s kind of disappointing. I could have seen this at home any day really. As I am walking, I come across a stream. So this is where it gets exciting! It’s quite wide, too wide to jump. I am certainly not going in wearing my Dr Martens. I walk further south, and soon come across five rocks in a row, acting as stepping stones. Delighted, I pounce onto the first one, hop to the next, and hop to the next again. I spring onto the next and nearly slip over. “Crap,” I whisper to myself, stepping carefully onto the next. Eventually I am on the other side now. I look around, and suddenly, this side of the river feels so much nicer. It’s much brighter, and the harsh breeze has gone. I walk further, and notice a sweet scent in the air. Lots of wild flowers litter the ground. Tulips, roses, you name it and it’s probably here. I bend down to pick one, but suddenly I stop. I stand up straight. Someone is calling my name. “Lindsay,” It whispers. I follow the sound of the voice, heading deeper into the forest. “Lindsay”. I notice it’s getting much darker now, but I don’t pull out my flashlight. I simply follow the voice.

Suddenly, I hear a cry. “Nein!” I stop mid follow. I whip my head around and discover someone running towards me. “Sie müssen aufhören!” he shouts again, and is soon standing in front of me. He is rasping, and pulls out an inhaler. He’s a tiny bit chubby, with strawberry blonde hair and these emerald green eyes. “What?” I ask him, shaking my head. He tries again, pointing a finger in the direction I was walking. “Der Großmann,” he says, sounding truly terrified. I shake my head, staring at him. He seems to lose his patience a little. “Sprechen Sie Deustch?” I shake my head slowly, frustrated. This must be serious if he’s going to such lengths to talk to me. “I don’t understand,” I say slowly.

“Oh,” he says, sounding relieved. “You’re English”. His accent is hard to understand, really heavily German, but I nod. “Yeah,” I say, thankful he understands me. “Why were you shouting at me? And who’s ‘der….der grossmon?” As soon as I mention the word, he goes back to trembling again.

“Der Großmann,” he repeats. “The Tall Man. The Slender Man”.

“Yeah. Um, what’s that?” I ask, sounding really stupid. The horrible breeze has returned, making me shiver.

“Well, there were lots of children vanishing over the past few months,” he begins, starting to walk away from where we’re standing. He stops and beckons me over. “Come, it’s not safe here,” he says, and I follow him across the way I came. “I’m Dieter, by the way,” he says, wheezing ever so slightly.

“Lindsay,” I say. “So, tell me more about the disappearing children”.

“Oh yeah,” he continues. “There were quite a lot just going. They just walked into the words, like you did”.

“Words?” I ask, puzzled, also extremely frightened.

“Woods,” he corrects himself, shaking his head. “I looked it up online. He’s apparently very tall, with no facial features”.

“Crap,” I whisper. “This is creepy. What was he doing to me?”

“He was trying to trap you,” he says, totally serious.

“But…what happened to the children?”

He looks down to the floor, not daring to look into my eyes. “They…never came back”. There’s a short silence between us.

“But… but I got away, right?” I shoot back, about to start wheezing myself.

“Luckily, you did!” he gasps, pulling out his inhaler again. In a few seconds, his wheezing has stopped completely. “Thanks,” I say. “I could have died!”

“You are falcon,” he says, smiling a bit.

“…falcon?” I ask, completely confused. “Oh, welcome!” I chuckle. I love his accent already! “How are you so good at English?” I ask him as we cross the stream.

“We learn it as our first foreign language in school,” he says, hopping off the last stone.

“You’re quite good,” I compliment. “How do you go to school though? We live so far from anywhere”.

“I’m actually from Düsseldorf ” he says holding out his hand. I take it and he pulls me up off the stone and onto the bank. Much easier than doing it on your own. “My parents, brother and I moved here two years ago.” I nod. I kind of wish I could speak German properly. It seems kind of rude making him talk in English. We finally get to my house, and I invite him in. “Sorry, I must get back,” he says. “I don’t live in the forest, but I live in the field across from it”.

“Okay, nice meeting you,” I say, and I mean every word of it. “Maybe I’ll see you around?”

“Yes, I always take walks in the forest,” he says. “I will see you soon!”

“Goodbye!” I say, waving after him. As soon as he’s gone, I dash into the house. I run into the living room and find dad asleep on the sofa. “Dad, dad,” I say urgently. He stirs and looks at me grumpily. “What?” he snaps, rubbing his eyes.

“There’s a tall man in the forest with no face”. I know how stupid this sounds as soon as it leaves my mouth. He stares at me like I’ve just turned into a blueberry or something. “Got to bed,” he mutters, and hits me with a cushion. I storm off to my room and fling myself onto the bed. I fall asleep as soon as I lie down.