Log book entry 5

Log book – fifth entry

Opening the front door, I think of ways to tell my mum I have a boy coming over. And for it not to sound weird. Me and Dieter are friends, if that, and nothing else. Connected by the same fear and curiosity. I walk silently into the living room to discover my mum reading. “Oh, hello darling,” she says like I haven’t been gone. “Can I get you anything?”

“No, but I think you should know I have company coming over”. This grabs her attention.

“You met someone…in the forest?” she asks, looking at me like I can cure world hunger.

“Yeah, he’s nice,” is all I manage to say. Which makes her dig further.

“He? But how did you manage to find anyone…?” I walk out of the room mid-question. I really cannot think of a suitable answer.

At exactly 8pm, the doorbell rings. “I’ll get it!” I shout, and dash to the door. I open it to reveal Dieter standing there, looking very worn out. “Hey,” I say, and invite him in. “I mean, uh, Guten Tag”.

“Hey, you can finally say something,” he grins, and follows me up the corridor. We reach my room, and his mouth drops in awe. “This is nice,” he says, looking round the place.

“Thanks,” I say. I grab my laptop and throw myself on the white sofa opposite my bed. Dieter walks over and plonks himself next to me. I type into the search box, ‘the slender man’ and hit search. Immediately I am met by pictures. “He looked just like that,” I say, pointing my finger at one of the images. “And he was standing right over there,” I say, pointing out the patio at the spot where he lingered. Dieter nods, taking it all in. “But why is he coming back for me?” I ask, hoping he has an idea. Sadly, he shakes his head. “I don’t know,” he says, sounding agitated. “Maybe…maybe he won’t stop until he gets you”. This is like a stab to the chest. The creepy, malformed kidnapper…is still after me. Dieter seems to notice what he’s done because he places his hand on my shoulder. “Hey, don’t worry,” he says, which is kind of impossible at the moment. “I’ll help you as best as I can”. This makes me grin awfully. I look up to his face. It looks concentrated, determined. And at this very moment my mother happens to walk in without knocking. There we are, chilling on the sofa, his hand on my shoulder. She goes bright red. “Oh, um…hello…” she says really awkwardly. Help. Help. Help. I try and say something but my mouth refuses to move. Luckily for both of us, Dieter is a quick thinker. “I squashed the fly,” he says, moving his hand slowly off my shoulder and cupping the other around it. “It’s strange how they end up on your shoulder…..” Mum’s face drains of the redness, and her non-awkward smile returns. “Hello. You must be Lindsay’s friend”. Um. Well. Duh. She carries on though. “I mean, um, hallo,” she says, making it ten times worse. Even I am slightly better at German. And I know none. Dieter plays with this though. “Hallo, ich bin Dieter. Wie heißen Sie?” The redness returns to my mum’s face. “Um, I’ll leave you to it,” she says, and totters out in her heels. I give Dieter the thumbs up, and we research into the topic more. We find things out, about lost pages, him never giving up, him having tentacles… All of this freaks me out. We soon come across a game! “I dare you to download it,” Dieter says, nodding towards the DOWNLOAD button.

“Fine!” I say, and I download it, immediately regretting it. For the next hour, me and Dieter sit and play it, screaming whenever he pops up. Once Dieter was so startled he nearly threw the laptop on the floor. At around ten, he decided he had to leave. “I must go now,” he says, jumping up. “The game was fun! I might download it at home”. We discuss it as I walk him to the door.

“Bye,” I wave, smiling. He waves back.

“Auf wiederhesen! Call me if something happens!”

“I will!” I close the door, and head straight to bed.

At least now I have something for my log book.