Log book entry 8

Log book, eighth entry

I’m dragged across the forest floor, receiving various cuts from stones and twigs. I don’t know where I’m being dragged to, but I know I’ll never see daylight again…

I jolt awake. The lights are out, even though I’m sure I left them on. My heart thumps quickly in my chest, sending beads of sweat trickling down my forehead. “Please,” I mouth into the darkness. “Help me”. I’m going mad. There’s nobody to hear me. I tense up on the chair, not daring to move. My eyes flicker to the TV screen, and that’s when I notice what’s wrong. White noise fills the screen. Immediately, a scene from The Ring floods into my head and removes any chance of feeling safe. I stare at the screen, eyes wide, chest rising and falling rapidly. But the static isn’t the only thing wrong. On the screen, I see something start to take shape. First, I notice a red circle forming, soon with a red X in the middle. My breathing quickens up, even more. I begin panting, feeling more vulnerable than ever. I wanted to shut my eyes, but something forced me to keep watching. Words flicker on the screen for no more than a few seconds, and I manage to make out some sentences. DON’T LOOK, OR IT TAKES YOU… tears fall down my cheeks silently, blurring my vision, but I carry on watching. LEAVE ME ALONE. I clutch my chest, experiencing a horrible pain in my heart. ALWAYS WATCHES. NO EYES. I shake viciously, my breath becoming harsher by the second. I should run, I should call the police, I should do anything but sit here. But still, I sit there, eyes glued to the screen, hands now clutching the sofa to steady myself. HELP ME. CAN’T RUN. FOLLOWS. A picture of him in the woods. I gulp back tears, and force myself to carry on. For a few seconds, there’s nothing else. It calms me down a bit. But then, the word "no" keeps flashing, being repeated over and over. Soon I realise I’m whispering it too. No. No. No. I try to turn the TV off, but the static remains, as does the words flashing on the screen. No. No. No. I scream, I cry, I rock back and forth. “Help!” I scream, at the top of my voice, still not daring to move. “HELP!” Eventually, I become hysteric, and pass out, still clutching the sofa.