Chapter 8 (Sam's POV)

Now, a week after the incident at school, everyone pretty much calmed down. I had to admit at first I was scared of how Bianca would react. But not much happened. Of course she tried to push me down to the ground and to hurt me but like the person I’ve been ever since my parents started to hit me I didn’t let it get to me. After a few days I think she got bored and stopped it. School wasn’t the same anymore. Neither for me nor for anyone else. Especially not for Colby. Colby… Already thinking about her name made me grin like an idiot. I had to stop grinning. Otherwise people would start to think I was weird. I mean who is happy about being in Math class? But my brain wouldn’t obey me. Thoughts of Colby started to invade my mind. From the first time I met her to the first day of school. The first time I ever met Colby was like… I don’t know… I immediately felt a connection to her. Like we were meant to meet and to become friends. And after spending a few minutes with her alone I already felt safe next to her. It was weird…

We were standing in front of this huge house. And I mean huge. Our old flat back in San Francisco could probably fit in there five times. That’s a guess per floor. But it looked beautiful. The light blue shade of the walls, the white shutters, the black roof. The colors harmonized. I looked back to my suitcases. There were three in total. One for my shirts and dresses, one for my pants and Heels and the last one for my babies: My holy High Tops. Yup. I needed a suitcase for Sneakers. Sue me.

»You’re going to love it here, Shorty. Especially Pete and his kids. Joshua, his son, is someone you have to get used to but Colby, his daughter, is a total sweetheart. You’re going to be great friends. Believe me.« Anna sighed putting her arm around my shoulder.

 »Mhm. You better not be lying, Mudman. Otherwise I won’t have a choice but to kill you.« I grinned. Anna and I always have had this bond between us. No matter what we said to each other we were cool with it. Except for a few things which usually end up with us fighting. But the next morning everything’s forgotten. »Then let’s go. I need to check if my future brother in law deserves my sister.« With that I grabbed my suitcases and walked towards the front door. Before I could make it halfway through the front yard the door swung open revealing a well built man. He had black hair, broad shoulders and was wearing a blue and red checkered button up shirt. With a smile on his face he walked towards me causing me to stop in my tracks. My gaze wandered up and down as I tried to find out if anything was wrong with him.

»Stop checking him out, Shorty. He’s mine.« Anna chuckled and bumped her shoulder into mine before she leaped into the man’s arms and gave him a kiss. So this was him. The oh so famous Pete. At least the first impression of him wasn’t that bad.

After introducing ourselves and bringing the suitcases into the house we sat down in the living room and started to talk. Pete was a nice guy. That was clear. He was funny, friendly and kind of handsome. Every time he looked at Anna I could see the love in his eyes. And every time Anna walked out of the room because she had to go to the bathroom or wanted something to drink he looked at her with longing. Although it usually took more than that to make me approve of someone dating my sister I was absolutely convinced he wouldn’t hurt her. We sat in the living for quite some time until a boy came in. He was a little bit younger than me. Probably fourteen or fifteen. His gaze wandered from Pete to Anna and then to me. Where it got stuck. A cheeky smile played on his lips as he nodded his head towards my direction.

»Hey, I’m Josh.« His voice was way too confident for my liking. And the look on his face… No. Just no. I simply waved at him with a small smile, introduced myself and joined the conversation Anna and Pete were having only so I wouldn’t have to talk to Josh. The whole time he was sitting next to me trying to get me to talk to him and to get near me. I was actually grossed out by the smell of his deodorant or perfume or whatever it was. And I was ready to give my hopes up on Pete’s children. That was until she walked through the door. There in front of us, in the arms of her father, was a beautiful blonde girl. The feeling I just had a few seconds ago vanished as soon as I looked at her it was replaced by some kind of security. I didn’t need to know anything about her to know I wanted to be near her and to be her friend. No. Already looking at her made me want to get to know her. Her past, her present and if possible even her future.