I'm so sorry

A little girl, around the age of two, sat on a curb wrapped in a blanket, crying as she watched the scene unfold in front of her, and I the bigger girl sat next to her. I knew who the little girl was, it was me, young Nicolett who just watched her parents burn to death. No one was there to comfort her and I couldn't do anything but watch and listen to her choked sobs.

"M-m-mo-mmy." She cried as the tears continued to stream down her face. I wanted to hug her so badly and tell her that everything was going to be okay, so that's what I did. I knew she couldn't fell the hug and I knew she couldn't hear what I was saying, but it was giving me comfort in a way.

After sitting there for a minute, just hugging her and whispering that everything was going to be fine, I let go and stared at the flames in front of me. I remember reading newspaper articles when I was older about how it took them an hour to put out the flames, that it was 'the worst fire the had seen in a decade'. The fire danced in front of me, mocking both Nicolett and I, reminding of us what we lost, or rather, what she was losing.

I felt something wet slide down my cheek, but didn't bother to wipe it as someone made their way over to us. I watched as they knelt down in front of Nicolett and started speaking. It was a boy, probably between 16 and 18, and had a familiar face that I couldn't quit place.

"Hi." He whispered, making sure that Nicolett was comfortable.

"H-hi." She hiccuped back.

"What's your name?" The boy continued, still keeping his voice soft.

"Nic-Nicolett. But my d-da-daddy calls me Nicole." At the mention of her dad Nicolett start crying even more and I was ready to hug her again when the boy went in instead.

"Hey, shh, it's okay. Everything's going to be okay." He whispered before pulling away and wiping the tears from her face.

"B-but, f-fire." Nicolett pointed at the still burning house in front of her.

The boy turned around and looked before turning back to her. They locked eyes and I could see a tear starting to form in his. "I know, and I am so sorry." Why is he saying sorry... he was one of the teens that was playing with fireworks wasn't he. Nicolett was starting to cry again so he spoke and said something that I was not expecting. "Nicolett, what was the last thing you said to your parents?"

Nicolett stopped crying and thought for a moment before answering. "Th-that I l-love them."

The boy smiled. "Good, that is so good, because now you know that they went, knowing that you loved them. And what was the last thing they said to you?"

"That th-they love m-me." I saw a tiny smile form on her lips as she remembered her parents telling her they loved her.

"And that's even better, because not only do they know that you love them, but now you know that they loved you, so very very much." Nicolett was fully smiling now, all memories of before gone as she stared at this kind boy. I too smiled and whispered a small thank you.

"Thank you." Nicolett replied and pulled him into a hug this time.

"You're welcome. I promise will always be here to protect you Nicolett." His eyes were closed but shot open when he heard someone yelling at him.

"Cliff! Let's go! We need to get out of here!." All of the sudden he was ripped away from Nicolett and dragged away by one of his friends, that was most likely also responsible for this devastation. As they ran off Nicolett began crying again, but I ignored her for once and continued look off in the direction that they left.