Round 2~ A New Escape

The sound of the chainsaw.

Someone is using the chainsaw.

I hear several gunshots, and many screams as I come to my senses. Everyone is in all out battle mode, and no one bothered to wake me up? 

I jump to my feet, wielding a knife I carry at all times. Just in time to send the blade into the heart of a zombie that dragged his shoulders and arms behind as he walked. Not so much of a walk as a limp. 

     I search the space around me for a weapon. No luck. That is, until I see a rifle drop from the hands of someone. Chloe. The first victim of the zombies I've seen so far, I guess it was overdue. The beast threw her to her knees and began clawing at her squirming body. 

Diving to the weapon, I attempt to fend off the attacker. After I was sure he was taken care of, I noticed it was too late for my friend Chloe. She's probably not the first in this wave of attacks. I sure wish she'd be the last. But that thought is nothing but impossible. I finish her off for mercy.

     As I finish that train of thought, I send pellets into bodies of the undead, I begin to hear the shouts of utter desperation of my peers. Apparently we've run out of medication, and are left to our last resort. We must kill off the infected.

    It was a gruesome sight. atleast ten teenagers down. Bloody and beaten up by the swarm, they begged for different options. God I wish there were other options. My people... 

And of course I am designated the task of quickly dispatching our wounded. They chose me because I could handle it. But I cant, I can't even seem to think the same way I used to. Theres this new mindset. Not one of reason, but of desperation.

"It has to be done" were Mr. L's words

     I couldn't even look him in the eye. None of them. This is NOT what I wanted to do. But how could I have expected any different? This isn't a game of cops and robbers. In our situation, there is no prey. No hunter's game. This is a war that we can't win, and giving up seems damn better than trying to fight back. 

I decided my job is finished here, this place discusts me. The smell of humans, dead or undead, it was unbearable. I want to leave this place. Leave and go hunting.

Then I'll do just that  I thought to myself.

"Run." I stated plainly at the group of kids.

Preet rose onto her hands and knees "What? We can barely stand up, why would you ask us to-"

"Run." I stated again, reaching towards the backpack of weapons being handed to me by Mr. M

     They finally understood what had to be done. What I was going to do. They all rose their voices in retaliation but I couldn't take this going on any longer. My mind was set on freeing them, and myself.

So I grabbed the bag of knives, and set on completing my task, one by one I threw a knife at each injured persons heart or throat. These kids I loved more than my own family. I refused to even think of their names as they made their final cries of agony. The wails of terror and pain grew on me, they seemed increasingly familiar. Much like the sounds of a wild boar furiously letting out its final breaths.

How different could it be really? 

     I walked down the line of recent kills, and noticed the last one gasping for air, stareing blankly through the cieling. The tall boy with short- cut hair, and a bloodied Lakers jersey was making a gurgling sound with his unsteady breathing.

     Looking down at this boy with cold eyes. I remembered how I knew him very well, or so I thought. His name no longer being of importance to me, I tried to remember all of the moments I was comforted by his presence. Much like that of a dog. Always there when you needed him, loyal and hard to stay mad at. With watery eyes I shoved away the memories, all of the comforts. We could see the hurt in eachother's eyes. But sympathy would get neither of us anywhere. So in my mind he will be a boar. An injured boar to be finished off.

"I just barely missed your heart." 

     Reaching over to a fallen .22 luger pistol, I leaned over the creature and aimed.

     A trickle of blood trailed out of his head and created a thick puddle. 

I need to get out of here.