Disappointment

Chapter 3---Disappointment

I got out of my truck and stared at the front doors of the school.

I stood in the parking lot, trying to calm myself down.

Most of the people were at that party, and I can't help but think that everyone knows about the little mishap.

I started making my way towards the front entrance, trying to avoid any contact with people.

Obviously, that didn't work out.

Groups of students started snickering as I walked by them; some were even direct about their comments.

“Hey, what's up window-face.”

“More like glass-head.”

And the insults and little nicknames continued...

I found Jenn and Dex standing by my locker.

“Hey, did you know that--”

“Dex, save it,” I said, cutting him off.

“So, you know that the story got around school, huh?” Jenn questioned.

I nodded. “But, it's alright. I mean...I should be used to this by now.”

“Did Jade and Ruby say anything about it?” Dex asked.

“I can't believe you even have to ask that. Of course they did; they always do.”

“Change of subject, then,” Jenn said. “So...how's your mom?”

“How'd you know that I went to see her?”

“We just do,” Dex stated. “You always go to see her when something bad happens.”

I shrugged. “She's fine. We met up and ate at The Royal, and she met Seth, and then that was it.”

“Oh, okay.” Jenn replied. “So—whoa, back up a little. Did you just say Seth?”

I nodded.

“As in Seth Maxis?” Dex asked.

“Yep. He was at the restaurant, and he approached me and my mom. We talked a little, and it was really nice of him.”

“He is, like, your dream guy,” Jenn gushed. “That is totally going to on your list of OMG moments.”

“I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it,” I replied. “He was just trying to be polite. Besides, he has a girlfriend.”

“Well, lucky for you, I heard that he and Lynn Crystals broke up this morning,” Dex pointed out.

“They weren't even officially together.”

“Ember, by the way we've seen them make-out around school, I'd say that they were definitely together,” Jenn commented. “Don't be in denial.”

“Well, I bet you that by the end of the school day, he's going to have another girl wrapped around his arm,” I mentioned. “So many girls are after him.”

“Don't lose hope. You never know. It could be you,” Dex teased.

“Don't play with me,” I complained. “I don't really want to think about Seth right now.”

“Too bad. He's coming this way,” Jenn observed.

I turned away, pretending to look through my bag.

He glanced at us for a quick second, but then he kept walking.

About ten feet away, Ruby was standing by the fountain.