But Why?!

Chapter 7---But Why?!

As I parked in the school lot, I hesitated to get out of my truck.

How am I supposed to just walk up to Seth and tell him to take Ruby back?

This is going to be one of the hardest things I will ever have to do.

It's like winning something that you've worked for and then just giving it up to your archenemy.

Jade ran up to the driver's window and started pounding on it.

“Get out of there, pumpkin! You've got some work to do!” she yelled at me.

I slowly opened the door, and she yanked me out.

“Ruby is waiting by her locker. She expects Seth to meet her there right before first period, you got that? If he doesn't, then you're screwed,” Jade explained.

I ran through the front entrance and quickly found Seth's locker.

“Ember, hey,” he greeted. “I was hoping I'd run into you.”

“Seth, you need to get back together with Ruby.”

“What? But why?”

“She'll probably explain everything to you anyway. Seriously, just take her back. Meet her at her locker before the first bell.”

He placed his hand on my shoulder. “Ember, I don't want to date Ruby. I want to date you.”

“Seth, if you care about me at all, you will get back together with her,” I said.

“Is that what you really want?” he asked.

“N—Yeah. Yes. It's what I want,” I replied. “Please, just go and meet with her...now.”

“Alright then,” he said, giving me a hug.

Being in his arms felt so good, but I'm afraid that it's too good to be true.

I watched as Seth walked down the hallway.

I sighed as I headed to my own locker.

My friends were waiting.

“Give us the deets!” Jenn urged, running up to me. “What happened after you got home?”

“Did the witches tell on you? Did they hurt you?” Dex asked.

“Well, I didn't win this time,” I said, “At this very moment, Seth is getting back together with Ruby because I told him to.”

“Why would you do that?” Jenn asked.

“My family made me,” I said.

“When you say family...do you mean just your step-sisters and step-mother?”

“Guys, my dad took their side last night.”

“No way! How could he do that?” Dex asked.

“I was shocked, too,” I said. “I was so sure that he was going to agree with me and not them.”

“Does Julie know?” Jenn asked.

“No, I haven't contacted my mom yet,” I said.

“But she's always one of the first to know,” Dex stated.

“I don't know. I'd rather not tell her,” I explained. “She's met Seth, and she's in favor of him. If I tell her, she's just going to tell me to fight for what I believe in.”

Jenn bit her lip. “I don't think you really have that choice this time.”

“Me neither,” I said. “I--”