Insults

Chapter 5---Insults

“You better get going or you're gonna be late for school,” Mom warned.

“Can't I just stay here for the day?”

“What kind of mother would I be if I let you do that?”

“Um...the best mom ever,” I said.

She smiled and held up my bag. “I already am the best mom ever, whether you want to admit it or not. Now, go.”

I pulled her into a hug before getting into my pick-up truck.

*

As I walked through the school parking lot, I noticed Ruby's and Jade's cars next to each other. They had the second and third closest spots to the school, right behind Lynn Crystal's shiny, new BMW. Typical. The populars get the best parking spaces.

I walked down the hallway of the science wing and met up with Dex and Jenn.

“Hey, what happened to you last night? I was trying to call you.”

“Oh, sorry Jenn. I was at my mom's place, and I shut off my phone. I just wanted to avoid any contact with the witches' and the witches' mother.”

Dex adjusted the sleeves on his jacket. “What did they do this time?”

“They insulted me...as usual. Ruby and Jade messed with my old diary. Pearl threatened me...sort of.”

“She threatened you?”

“Well, she told me to stay away from Seth Maxis because, apparently, I'm getting in the way of his relationship with Ruby.”

“Isn't that a good thing for you, though?” Dex asked.

I shrugged. “I'm not really sure.”

“Well, I heard that Seth is going to have a party next weekend, and--”

“No,” I said, cutting Jenn off.

“You didn't even let me finish.”

“I already know what you're going to say. I'm not going.”

“But Ember, you really like this guy.”

“I don't have a chance,” I said.

A new voice joined in. “Don't have a chance at what? Winning a beauty contest?”

Jade smirked as I turned to look at her.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“Nothing. I'm just checking up on you,” she said. “You didn't come home last night.”

“Oh, you actually noticed?” I responded, sarcastically.

“Don't be so bitter, Ember. At least I'm nice enough to talk to you at school.”

“I'd rather you not talk to me at school,” I replied. “It's less painful.”

“So...how's your boring mother?”

“My mom is not boring...and she's fine.”

“Does she have a boyfriend yet, or is she as lonely as you?”

“Jade, don't insult my mom.”

“I'm not insulting her. I'm just curious. But since you mentioned it, I think I have the right to criticize your mom because you insult mine; it's only fair.”

“Jade, spare me the torture and just walk away. I don't want to talk to you right now.”

“Whatever, loser,” she said, strutting down the hallway.