War Against Witches

Chapter 20---War Against Witches

"So, is she ready?"

"I don't know, Seth. She seems a little worried."

I looked back at the car.

Pearl was drowning her hands in hand sanitizer, and that's before she has even started working.

"Hey! Your shift is coming up!" I called out.

She scowled at me and marched over to us.

"Listen here, brat. I'm only doing this to show your father that I'm not completely useless. Then he will choose to not divorce me, and he will stop referring to me a crazy woman."

"Well, sorry to say, but that ship has sailed. Now move!" I told her.

"Alright, alright. Geez, by the way you're acting, people would think that you're the one that owns this place," she mumbled.

Fortunately, she actually followed us into the bowling alley.

"I was so sure that she was gonna make a break for it," Seth whispered to me.

"There is no way she's running in those heels," I said, pointing to Pearl's shoes.

A man around his late thirties to early forties approached us. "Bo Maxis."

"Uncle Bo, I have your new employee for you," Seth said.

His uncle walked up to me and smiled. "Well Seth. This girl's to gorgeous to be working in a place like this."

I blushed from the compliment.

Pearl scoffed.

"Actually, it's not her," Seth informed him. "This is my girlfriend, Ember."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Ember."

"Likewise, Mr. Maxis."

"Call me Bo. No need for the Mr. Maxis. That's what you call my brother. I'm a cool uncle. Just ask my nephew."

"Sure Uncle Bo. You're the best," Seth told him. "Now, meet your new employee. This Ember's soon-to-be-ex-stepmother, Pearl."

Bo turned to Pearl. "Yikes..."

"Excuse me?" Pearl asked. "You call Ember gorgeous, but all I get is yikes?"

"Sorry, but uh...you do know that this is a bowling alley, right? This place isn't some perfume counter in a department store. You don't need to be wearing that stuff. Take off those shoes and change into a pair of rentals."

"Where would I keep them? I can't risk taking them off and having them stolen," Pearl responded. "These cost me thousands of dollars."

Bo handed her a pair of rental shoes. "Well, these cost fifteen. Now, put them on. Oh, and if you don't want to ruin your shirt, which I'm assuming is pricey as well...then you should probably change into one of our bowling shirts, too."

Pearl groaned. "My life sucks."

*

Pearl decided to change her outfit.

After I placed her things in the car, I made my way back inside.

Bo was handing her a mop.

"What is this?" she asked him.

"It's called a mop. You use it to clean things, especially floors."

"You expect me to clean?"

"Uh, duh," Bo told her. "The family that just left had a ton of kids. They spilled ketchup and soda all over that area, and I need you to clean it up."