• chapter eight •

"Please! I have a wife and kids! Please!" The state trooper on screen cried, staring down at the empty trunk before him.

"It's not like you'd give a fuck about going home to them if you weren't in this situation." I mumbled, shoveling a forkful of Lo Mein in my mouth right after.

"You do? Well, you're lucky. You be sweet to 'em, especially your wife. My husband wasn't sweet to me. Look how I turned out." Thelma recoiled with the gun in her hand. I pointed at the screen about to say something akin to exactly before a drop of curry fell from my fork and onto the white sheets.

The movie muddled into background noise for a second. I glanced at the yellow spot.

The longer I leave it on, the longer it stays. But it's not like I'm gonna easily get it out either, and I'm not even done with my food.

"Hey, do you think we can trade sunglasses too?" Louise piped up from the tv. I couldn't help but follow what was happening on screen.

Fuck it, housekeeping will deal with that later.

I was currently maybe an hour and a half into Thelma and Louise, and this shit was entertaining as fuck. I could see why this is such a highly regarded movie.

At this point, I think they're lesbians.

I mean, the way Louise is going through all this trouble solely to keep Thelma safe? And then Thelma, after she fucks up horribly might I add, returns the favor? And there's not a single point during the movie where they even miss their boyfriends or husbands. They only call them when they need shit.

Sounds like lesbians to me.

Or just best friends, like, hopelessly devoted to each other. Which could be the same thing, but I can't be hopelessly devoted to like, Xochitl, for example. They get on my fucking nerves at every interval and they watch tv so monotonously. Like how do you not have anything to say? So much is going on!

Honestly, I love them, but I don't think I'd become an outlaw with them. I've known them for three years, and while I love them, I also know them too well to know that we'd definitely kill each other before we even got on the interstate.

So, back to my point, Thelma and Louise are definitely lesbians.

In the distance, my phone took a life of its own, vibrating and skirting along the sides of the night stand with every jolt. I tried to squint to see the number, but all I could catch was an 828.

Should I answer? Maybe it's Gary. It has been a few days since I came to the shop and did that free trial tattoo. He's probably calling me to offer the job.

I started to reach for it before a thought hit me like a brick.

But what if it's Dinah? What if she found where I was, and now she's using a fake North Carolina number to get me to answer her calls?

No, that can't be. She's not like that.

Fuck.

Uh... okay. I have to pick up now before it goes to voicemail. I'll just listen for the background noise, and if someone speaks first and it's her, then I'll hang up.