Chapter 13-Jarican

////Above: Picture of Rachel////

It's so good to be home. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight. Mom's at work until late, so I could get a head start.

            But I guess the glass is half empty as well. I have to back to school tomorrow. I have to answer everybody's questions. I have to deal with catching up in all my classes. I have to deal with Rachel I have to wake up early. Most of all, I have to deal with the looks, the stares, the glares. The looks that say, "You dare show your broken face here again?". The looks that say, "You're such a slut." The looks that just show pity. I don't want pity. I want understanding. I want people to listen to me and believe what I'm saying. I want people to grasp the concept that something isn't right.

            Fat chance. They would never believe me. They would think I'm on drugs. Mrs. Brookes will probably make up another poor quality story of lies everyone will believe. I'll be the weird kid in the corner that no one wants to be friends with.

            That's when I remembered Hadrian. He believed me. He had even taken personal responsibility. He's the only one I had told. Maybe if I told other people they would believe me. Who am I kidding? No one's going to buy it. If I get branded as the weird and awkward kid, will Hadrian and Lana still want to hang out with me?

            Then there's the weird purple goop the "new guy" pumped into my body. What the hell is that about? Maybe it was to put me asleep for the surgery. No, the P.A. would have done it. God, I certainly don't miss her. Besides, they don't put antihistamines in an IV bag, do they? I don't understand. I think my mind needs an oil change. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

     What r u up 2?

          -H

            I texted him back.

     Just got home from the hospital. You?

          -Chryssy

            I never was one for shortened texts. I feel like it takes longer to figure out the shortcuts, then to write it out. I am known for a couple "lol"s every now and then.

            Chores :(

          -H

     If you have chores to do, then why are you texting me?

          -Chryssy

     i wanted 2 check & c how ur doing

          -H

     Well if that didn't melt my heart, I don't know what would. Then I realized who I was talking to.

            You just want to come over so you can get out of cleaning that nasty room you have, right?

          -Chryssy

     K, u caught me. When can I come over?

          -H

     I guess I could use the company, but what if Rachel sees us again. I don't want to end up back in the hospital...

          -Chryssy

     Don't worry about her. It was a long chain of events between her and the ICU. Besides, last time I wasnt involved. I'll be there in 20 min

          -H

     I guess he had a point. What would have happened if he was involved? Would I have gotten beaten by Mrs. Brookes? But, I'm kind of glad I did go to the hospital, or else I wouldn't have known I had a tumor. I'm not saying I'm happy that I was beaten by the dean, but I guess there is a bright side to everything.

     K, can't wait!

          -Chryssy.

            Maybe he could help me straighten everything out. Even a little would help. I didn't want to think about it anymore until he got here. I decided to watch TV until he got here. I put on a kids movie, because I didn't want the drama of a soap opera or the seriousness of adult movie. I didn't really want to laugh, either. I couldn't deal with romance, a thriller, horror, sci-fi, war, or really any movie that required thought. So, I put on a classic animated movie about a talking rat who can cook. I grabbed my favorite blanket and got comfy on the couch.

            Before I knew it, the doorbell rang. I paused the movie and headed for the door. On my way to the front, I realized I looked terrible. I didn't even think about looking pretty, or presentable anyway. Oh well. It's too far gone.

            I opened the door, "Hey," I greeted.

            "Hey, thanks for letting me come over."

            "No prob, I bet that room was like a-"

            "Like a yeti had a birthday for his kids there. Little kids who poop and throw up everywhere."

            "Oh. Thanks for that image. I was just going to say a disaster."

            "You're welcome. Can I come in?" He was still standing in the doorway.

            "Oh, yeah. I was too busy picturing a yeti birthday party to invite you in. My bad."

            "You should probably get that straightened out," He said as he walked in and took a seat in the living room. I did the same.

            I was so glad things weren't awkward. I thought with the kiss, maybe I'd lose my friend. But, that's not the case. We still laugh and joke about it like that never happened. Is that the way I want it to be? Do I want him to just treat me like a friend? Was the kiss just out of pity? It didn't feel like a pity kiss, but what do I know? He's only the second person I've kissed. And the first guy, boy was he a piece of work. Long story short, he was a jerk that broke my heart. That's where I met Hadrian. He comforted me when I was sad. We've been friends ever since. And, I've liked him ever since.

            I heard snapping, "Hello? Jarican to Chryssy."

            "Sorry, I just have a lot on my mind."

            "I'd say so."

            He didn't even know about the mysterious men and purple goop, "Yeah. I was hoping you could help me figure it out."

            "Well, Mrs. Brookes could be a zombie who needed to knock you unconscious in order to eat your brains."

            I gave him a look, "Okay, okay, just throwing out options here." He smiled.

            I covered my feet with the blanket, "Never mind. On a different subject, I'm terrified to go to school tomorrow."

            "Don't worry about it."

            "Too late."

            "Look, I know you're going to have to deal with all the questions, the stares, Rachel, Mrs. Brookes,-"

            "You're not helping."

            "Listen. Even though you have to deal with all those things, either Lana or I are going to be there next to you. Worrying about it isn't going to do any good. Get your mind off of it. What movie is this?" He looked at the screen, "Oh, yeah, perfect. Press play."

            As we were watching a rat talk to an imaginary fat French chef, I scooted closer to him. It was the least romantic movie ever, but he put his arm around me anyway. I leaned into his chest as he held me.

            "What are you thinking about?" He asked me.

            "I don't know how you do it, but you always make me feel and comfy," He held me the same way when Norton broke my heart.

            "Really? I was thinking about the yeti birthday party again."

            "Just watch the movie, monkey butt."