Chapter 11- Jarican

////above: Chryssy's Mom////

"Did you give her the stuff?" I heard a voice say. It wasn't the doctor, or the P.A....

            "How many times do I have to tell you? I've got this under control. Just keep watch," I heard another man say. His voice was lighter, maybe younger. He was standing by the machines.

            I had a feeling I shouldn't be awake. They must have thought I was still asleep. I should let them keep thinking that. I kept my eyes closed, slowed my breathing, and listened.

            "Oz, are you sure you know what you're doing? We can switch jobs if you're uncomfortable," I heard the older man say.

            "I've learned a lot since the Academy. I'm better at what I do then ever before."

            "But is that enough?"

            "Yes sir. I even have reason to believe that Dayton got Peterson involved." Peterson... Hadrian's last name! What did I get Hadrian involved with? What are these guys doing?

            "Really. What proof do you have?"

            "Surveillance cameras."

            "Good work Oz. I underestimated you."

            "Thank you Sir."

            "I can take that back real easy if you jack this up."

            "I won't let you down."

            "Not just me, but this entire planet."

            I heard a gulp, "Yes Sir."

            Let me process that for a moment. This new guy fresh out of the Academy (whatever that is), is trying to give me the "stuff" because the whole planet depends on it. Also, I must have gotten Hadrian involved with something I shouldn't have. Well then. If that doesn't raise an eyebrow or two, then I don't know what will.

            "Sir! I did it!"

            "Are you sure kid?"

            "Yes. Let's get out of here!"

            After the footsteps were gone, I opened my eyes to look around. I saw that my I.V. bag was bright purple! That can't be good. I started to feel... very... sleepy...

...

            "Chryssy! Chryssy! Can you hear me Baby?" I heard Mom yell. I felt so weak.

            "Mom..." I whispered.

            "Oh, Baby Girl, it's going to be okay," I gave her a confused look so she would explain what happened, "One of the nurses accidently gave you the wrong medicine. You're going to feel confused for a little while. You'll probably forget what's happened the past couple of days. Did you already forget? Do you remember why you're here?"

            I gently nodded. That's weird. I remember everything. At least I think so. I don't remember a dragon invasion, but I remember Lana coming in and freaking out. I remember I had internal bleeding, and a tumor. I remember Mrs. Brookes doing what she did to me. I remember Hadrian and the kiss... I don't think I'm missing anything.

            "Mom..." I squeaked, "I remember..."           I saw relief in her eyes as well as confusion.

            The rude P.A. lady came in with my food. Was it lunchtime? Or dinner? I didn't know, but I was hungry.

            "Ma'am. Can you feed her for me?" The P.A. sassed at Mom with a side of glare.

            "Sure," Mom replied. I can't believe the nerve of that lady.

            It looked like I had chicken broth, applesauce, and ice cream. I felt like an old person. I wanted to scream out "Alfred! Bring me my hip pills!" But I couldn't so I smiled instead.

            The hospital had horrible food, but I figured, how could they mess this up? Challenge accepted. The broth was cold, the applesauce was hot (don't ask me how that happened), and the ice cream was rock solid. The cafeteria at school made better food than this.

            While I ate Mom stayed quiet. She was trying her best to be a good caretaker. I feel bad for her. Her only kid is in all this pain. There's nothing she can do. That must be every mother's worst fear. I loved her to the moons and back, but I know she loved me more. Yeah, she babys me sometimes, but it's because I was her baby. Now I'm fifteen, about to drive, in high school, hopefully have a boyfriend... I'm grown up. She's always there for me, no matter what.

            "I love you..." I told her. I know I didn't say it enough.

            "I love you too Baby Girl."

            I have to pull through this. I have to be okay, for her. I can't let this effect me. I will overcome. Mom doesn't need any more grey hairs because of me. How can I prevail? My surgery! Did I ever have it? I have to. I won't let this enflamed tissue overpower me.

            "When... surgery..." I asked Mom.

            Her face got as bright as a 140 watt, "Your surgery was yesterday. It went perfectly. The tumor was successfully removed. You're okay!"

            I smiled. Maybe the positive mindset was a little late, but I'm okay. I can go home soon. Everything will be normal.

            But it won't be. I don't think it ever will. I know what Mrs. Brookes did to me. I always will. I know some newbie gave me "stuff" and is going to give it to Hadrian as well. What I didn't know was what the "stuff" did, or if it was dangerous.

            This isn't normal. This isn't right. From the "ceiling fan" accident, to the purple goop in my I.V. pouch, I know something's up. Maybe they're connected. Somehow. Someway.

            All I know for sure is, I'm going to get the bottom of this.