Introduction

Veronica's POV

The doctors said there are 7 minutes of brain activity after the heart stops. The best memories, good or bad, are played during those seven minutes, as though your brain wants to make the journey easier. I never believed them until I went through those 7 minutes myself.

The first time, I saw myself running from the Instruction building. The sky was a pink and orange color, the sun was barely rising over the horizon as we ran through the corn field that the building over looked. Miles was holding my hand as Chris and Felicity led the way to our new home. I looked over at Dylan and he smiled, freedom written all over his face. Daiki shouted our names as we continued to run, disappearing in the dense corn field.

6 minutes left.

I saw the day I met Giovanni for the first time. His smile gave me butterflies and his mafia was sweet. I felt like I belonged with them as well. His eyes set on mine as he made his way to me, kissing my cheek lightly as the bright sun shined over him. For the next few days I'd fall for him, only to come out heart broken in the end.

5 minutes.

I saw Dylan and I cuddled up on the bed. His arms wrapped around my waist as he slept, his soft and raspy snores filled the silence as I lied down next to him. His fingers rubbed circles around my waist absentmindedly in his sleep, stirring a warm feeling inside me. His slow heart beat comforted my restless mind before falling into a deep sleep.

4 minutes.

I laughed as Felicity and Cat shared their stories of a movie they went and watched. The three of us were sprawled out on the bed as we tried to keep quiet so we wouldn't wake the others. My hands continued to do Cat's make up as she did Felicity's hair, pretending we were going out to a club. A few moments later, Emily came in and scowled us for using her make up.

3 minutes.

I sat up and watched everyone have fun in the beach water. The sun was beating down on me as I tanned, a shadow coming over me before picking me up. I screamed out in joy as Shane ran with me in his arms to the water, cannon balling off the dock with a loud splash. The fresh water took us under before we swam up, everyone cheering.

2 minutes.

We all sat around the camp fire, Miles' arms around my waist as I sat on his lap. His thumb lightly stroked my hip as Chris told us an old legend about the Greek gods and goddesses. The crackling of the fire was the only thing you could hear besides Chris' loud voice as he spoke with fascination to us.

1 minute.

Ryan latched onto me tightly as I pulled him out from the burning building, Miles leading the way to safety. His light blue eyes screamed fear as we walked through the fire, relief washing over them after we stepped foot outside. I held him tightly as I rubbed his back, Chris leading us to the car.

0 minutes.

And finally, the brain rests in peace.

The second time I went through it, I saw differently. It was still seven minutes but those seven were a whole lot different than before.

Chris twirled me slowly, bringing me in close, leading us as we danced. His hand gripped my waist lightly with one hand, the other holding my hand. My other hand draped over his shoulder, a smile on his lips as we continued dancing to the soft music. My dress swayed along with my body, his suit fit his frame perfectly. We won the dancing competition that day.

6 minutes.

Miles, Ryan, Dylan and I lied down on the roof, looking up at the stars as we talked about our time together. Miles handed me a cigarette after taking a drag from it, I did the same before handing it to Dylan who handed it to Ryan. We sat up and watched the city come to life as the sky turned fully black. The lights lit up our eyes as we stayed on the roof together the whole night.

5 minutes.

I uncovered my tattoos to clean them, Dylan kissing my lips lightly as I did so. His hand held my waist softly as he kissed me slower, helping me clean my tattoos after kissing me. I covered my tattoos before bringing him closer to me, letting him place me on the bed. His eyes pierced through mine before capturing my lips with his once again, our bodies becoming one for the first time.

4 minutes.

I looked down at my wedding dress one last time before my father and I walked down the aisle. Dylan's eyes set on me, his mouth forming an 'o' as his eyes widened. He wiped a tear away from his eye as he looked at me, taking in every inch of me as though he were never going to see me again. I grabbed his hands lightly, his eyes piercing into mine softly with love.

3 minutes.

I latched my lips onto Dylan's, his hands pressing my bare body against his after moving the blanket away from us. He lied me down and made love to me slowly, the sun coming up as we finally finished. The sun's rays pierced through the room and landed on Dylan's body just before he lied down next to me tiredly.

2 minutes.

My eyes widened as I looked at the pregnancy tests, all positives as Cat hugged me joyfully. The memory flashed to when I told Dylan and he was crying. I hugged him tightly as he fully processed I'm pregnant. Tears ran down my face as everyone came in, congratulating us.

1 minute.

I watched as Shane jumped in front of me, a bang erupting through the air before Shane's body fell to the ground. I dropped down and applied pressure to his wound, talking to him as I tried to keep him up. He whispered into my ear before lying down, a smile on his face as he passed. I looked down and found his hand on mine, holding it lightly before he left.

0 minutes.